A metal detecting horror story!

Hawkeye P

Apr 7, 2010
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I just recently talked to an old MD'ing friend whom I hadn't seen in several years. While we were catching up, I mentioned that I was getting back into MD'ing after a long break. He told me he didn't hunt anymore - of course, I asked why, as this guy was definitely a MD'ing fanatic when I knew him years ago. After I heard his story, I almost had second thoughts about getting back into the hobby!

About two years ago, he was out in the local state forest - public land - searching an old canoe-launching site along the river. It was just upstream from a still-active launch ramp, but this one doesn't get used much anymore. After finding about five pounds of lead fishing sinkers and a few clad Lincolns, he was just about to give up when he heard someone yell "HEY!" He turned around to see an older guy about ten feet away with a shotgun. He quickly took off his headphones and said "Hi." The guy said "you're trespassing," to which my friend replied that he wasn't and this was part of the state forest. I know - arguing with a shotgun-wielding hillbilly might not be the best idea. The guy said, "this is MY property, and you are gonna leave." The shotgun was never pointed at my friend, but he realized that he'd rather comply than take a chance. He said, "alright, I'll go," and started to walk away. At this point, the guy said "leave the stuff here!" "What?" My friend said, shocked. The guy said, "I said, drop your stuff and get off my property!" My friend quickly realized that, trespassing or not, he was being robbed. He set down his detector and backed away slowly. "Now get out!" the guy said. My friend got out as quick as he could.

As soon as he got to the main road, he called 911. He told them that he had just been robbed by a guy with a gun. They asked the usual questions, was he alright, did he know the person, could he describe him, where the incident occurred. My friend asked that an officer meet him at a gas station down the road, rather than at home (which was about 1/2 an hour away). About an hour later, a sheriff showed up. My friend told him the whole story, and when he got to the part about being accused of trespassing, the officer said, "WERE you trespassing?" My friend said no, and he could produce the plat maps to prove it. The cop apparently didn't believe him, and told him that if he was trespassing, the owner had the RIGHT make him leave immediately, without his equipment! My friend didn't believe this, but he just repeated that he wasn't trespassing. The cop took notes and left, saying they'd get back to my friend in a day or so. They never contacted him.

About a week later, he finally called the sheriff's department. They had no record of his report, and to make matters worse, they also said that if he was trespassing, he was lucky he didn't spend the night in jail or worse! They didn't even care when he said he could prove he wasn't trespassing. My friend was so upset by all of this that he decided to forget about it and give up MD'ing. Heck, if that happened to me, I'd probably do the same!

Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You don't have to kill or maim; just know some dirty tricks, physical or not.

Also, be careful when you post your inventory info online; it's open to the public. They may say not, but a hacker or one cute bill through Congress will change all that, unbeknownst to you. Banking has safeguards, as do credit cards. You can view everyday and check for vandalism. Inventories are something else. If you use this option, put in an unidentifiable address; the Moon.

The more you keep close to your chest and offline, the better off you are.

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold
Sorry this happened, but it is another reason to carry protection. I hunt with a small pistol, hope I never have to use it but sure not gonna let anyone rob me!

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I think I would have left my gear as the gun holder demanded and got the heck out of shotgun range fast.
I do not argue whith a guy who has the gun.

Someone who might look like me then may come back with their own gun and retrieve the gear and anything else.

Grey

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your friend should always get the officers name and badge #.
If this really happened I would of sued the PO in small claims.

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I know what it is like to have a hobby taken away from in one swoop. I used to hunt and shoot guns constantly. Some of you may remember my posts about what I have been through. Dont try to make him get back into it, if I was you I would invite him along sometime. Especially if you have an extra detector for him to use. Don't ask him ahead of time either. Just call him and ask him a little before you are ready to leave. It might have to be a spur of the moment thing to get him back into it. Dont ask him ahead of time so that he doesn't have time to sit around and think about what happened.

As far as the dirty tricks go I was always fond of the handful of nails and screws tossed on the end of someones driveway.

Just some ideas for you to ponder

OP
OP
Hawkeye P

Hawkeye P

Apr 7, 2010
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6
SteveDodds said:
As far as the dirty tricks go I was always fond of the handful of nails and screws tossed on the end of someones driveway.

I think I'd had that "trick" played on me before, but I didn't deserve it like this guy does! :laughing7:

As for me, I'm not going to let this incident scare me out of hunting those "isolated" spots - sometimes they're the best, especially if no one else has ever found them! Just make sure you're prepared for whatever might come your way. I'm confident in my ability to defend my life & property if threatened. Just don't give any yahoos a real reason to mess with you - namely, never trespass!

Always make sure you know exactly where you are - and it's a good idea to let someone else know where you'll be, too, just in case you don't make it home by dark. At the very least, never go anywhere without a cell phone - although some out-of-the-way places won't have service...you definitely won't be able to call anyone if you leave it at home!

DavyJonesLocker

Apr 26, 2010
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Don't even thing of MDetecting on state land where i am get you locked up quicker than you can blink.And your equipment can be kissed good bye

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Isn't Davey Jones Locker another term for the bottom of the sea?

Must be some mean State Troopers there.

Most state lands in Oregon are open to MD but check locally.
Mix of BLM, State Forests, National Forests, lands rented to timber companies, etc. can be confusing.

Grey

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Next time go local.
but it be smart smart to carry a hand held gps device with you.
by satilite you know which is which.
HAND HELD GPS DEVICE
DON'T LEAVE HOME WITH OUT 1.
GPS satilites don't lie.

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
Usually, if the area is not clearly fenced or marked no trespassing, then you aren't breaking the law, even if it were private property. It's a good reason to always hunt with a buddy so no one can sneak up on you like that.

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
I also think it's a sign of the times, I wouldn't go anywhere out in the woods without packing.

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
Hawkeye P said:
Believe me guys, this scared me too. I'm going to try and get a hold of my friend again and see if he's willing to take any of your suggestions to heart. It was awful to see one of the guys who first introduced me to the hobby give it up, but I really can't blame him after his experience! He's not one to tell "tall tales," so I'm inclined to believe his story.

I told my dad the story, and he said it sounded similar to something he heard years ago about why you SHOULDN'T go fishing near that particular public access point on the river - apparently, there's a guy who owns property NEAR there, but thinks that it all belongs to him! My dad remembered a story he heard about two guys who were forced AT GUNPOINT to leave their fishing rods and tackle boxes and "get out!" Sounds familiar! My dad believes that this is the same guy who, in the 1970s, was known to tape sticks of dynamite to a tree and shoot at them - don't know about that story, but if there's an ounce of truth to it and it IS the same guy who seems to be making a living out of ARMED ROBBERY, it sounds like he's certifiably insane!

4-H said:
Yeah, I'm sorry but folks are getting a bit strange up there.
That state is in deep sh#!
Was this near Muskegon?
Tell me. I can find out very easy who this punk was.
PM me if your friend is interested in getting back into the hobby with a little help.

Mike

Mike, funny you should mention that...from what I understand, it was actually in Oceana County, just north of the Muskegon County line. If my friend's description is correct, he was in an area known as Sischo Bayou (as I know it).

I've heard similar stories of people living on mining claims and shooting at people as if they were trespassing, even though they were no where near the claim.

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Yeah can't label cops cuz of this one incident. My guess is he may have been a RELATIVE of the cop. I would NOT take it laying down and absolutely kept on going higher up til' the case was handled as well as the cop!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I wouldn't label the cop either, I mean a lazy piece of crap, is still a lazy piece of crap, regardless of his occupation.
ALWAYS get the case # or a copy of the incident report BEFORE the cop leaves and then follow up within 24 hours

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't metal detecting, but once I drove 7 1/2 hours to a little isolated camping area along Rock Creek in Tennessee to do a little trout fishing. As it turned out I was the only one there so I set up camp, did a bit of fishing, and then I went to bed. A little after mid-night I was awaken by load gun shots that seemed like they were right next to me so I sat up and peeked out the corner of my tent window. To my instant shock I saw that two young men had setup camp about 50 yards away from me and it was obvious that they were drunk because they were wildly picking out targets and shooting handguns all up and down the river. I had no idea what to do so I just stayed in my tent and hoped for the best. I wasn't about to go outside. Anyway, I guess a couple hours passed when I saw a set of headlights entering the camping area from the access road and to my HUGE relief it turned out to be a DNR vehicle and he pulled straight into the other camping site and jumped out. It's over, right? WRONG!
As I sat there listening I could hear things like, "So how's your dad? Is your brother coming up tonight?" And then I heard, "Man, sure missed you guys!" And then a few more shots. About this time I'm laying in that tent thinking, "This is bad, really, really bad!" I laid there in my tent until about 5am that next morning, until I was 100% certian that everyone in the other site was 100% asleep, and then I was real quite when I packed up everything and I got the H**L out of there as fast as I could. I HAVE BEEN BACK! And, I hardly ever go camping in simi-remote areas by myself anymore. To this day that one long night still effects my planning of a trip.

hidin

May 19, 2007
Bailey, Colorado
Holy blank. This story makes me want to carry a gun and I'm not a gun person by any means. I live in an area that is pretty much all backwoods. Fortunately I know most of our crazies and get along with them. Doesn't mean I'd detect anywhere near their property though. The main reason I don't detect with headphones on is so I can hear anyone coming up behind me and can have my digger in my hand. As a female who detects alone its a major consideration for where you detect. My blood is boiling for your friend!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread