A Miraculous Medal like no other?

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always wanted to metal detect, and finally bought a detector this summer. I knew I would like detecting, but I had no idea my mind would become so obsessed with it. I only wish I had more time and places to hunt. Anyway, I found this interesting Miraculous Medal the other day about six inches down in an old baseball field. Although these medals are very common, I have been unable to find any quite like this one online despite my many searches. I think (hope) this one is old, perhaps late 1800s or early 1900s, based on its floral shape, its ornate detail, and its toning. It is about the size of a nickel, very thin and lightweight, and perhaps made of silver. The quote, “Oh Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us” is in French, so perhaps one of the many French-Canadian immigrants to this area lost it long ago. The date is shown as 1820, which confuses me, as these medals typically show 1830, which is the year of the apparition it depicts. I hope you find this medal as interesting as I do. If anyone has seen this particular one before and has any information, especially regarding its age and the 1820 date, I would appreciate the comments or links. Thanks! (Sorry the image is sideways.)

Attachments

• Mary Medal Front.jpg
    Mary Medal Front.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 173
  • Mary Medal Back.jpg
    Mary Medal Back.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 23

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a nice find you should definitely be happy with it I can't give you anymore information on it but congrats on the find keep at it

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1820 wow looks like some kind of religious medal. I love this hobby also you never know what you will find. That is freakin sweeeeeet

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little religious medal. It looks like it may be aluminum, instead of silver. Is it stamped .925 or sterling ? Does it seem to have a little weight to it, or is it light ? After you clean it up, if there is pitting and such, it will probably be aluminum. Religious medals are always a nice find, no matter what metal they are made of.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried Google for the 1820 date on it and I think I came across a site where also asked about this find! :icon_thumright:

This looks like it might be a pocket type piece rather than on a chain and used as a "touch piece" to say a decade of the Rosary.

If it has any weight to it, it could be what is referred to as Chapel Silver.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback. I really like this piece, regardless of worth. Few points: It is not marked sterling, and it is super light. I was also thinking it could be aluminum, though I thought it would have been more corroded if made of that metal. I will give it a closer look, though I am reluctant to clean it, as I like the toning as is. The idea that this is a pocket piece is intriguing, as I do not see any broken connections or suspension (?), so it is a possibility. I did see a post about the 1820 date from someone as confused as me; I posted an anonymous reply. Maybe that is the post seen in Google. Again, thanks for all the replies, and I hope for more! This is a great hobby and a terrific forum/site.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Without doing the research online I can tell you that 1820 is a date important to the religion and not the date it was made.
It is aluminum, though I've never seen that exact one.
I dig a couple three or four a year of these type of finds. Most are aluminum or brass. All the one's I have found that are silver or gold are marked accordingly.

Now, get out there and find it's gold cousin! HH ALL

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find it's gold cousin? :laughing7:... Now that would truly be a miraculous medal! :icon_thumright: You are correct - this medal was not made in 1820, though I wish it was. The reason I am confused is that these themed medals usually have 1830 stamped on them, which reflects the year the Virgin Mary appeared before St. Catherine Laboure in Paris. I have not seen one with 1820 on it despite my searches. I am encouraged that no one has apparently seen a miraculous medal like this one, even though commonly dug. Maybe this is a miraculous medal like no other after all. Thanks again all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread