Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My fishing buddy lives way out in the country with a lot of critters around. So it was no surprise for him to have a pack rat get into his boat and make it's home there. Pack rats can be very destructive and this one was doing its best. It chewed up his wiring as well as numerous other things in the boat including expensive fishing stuff. So, my friend went to war with these vermin and finally got them all killed out. We had to rewire his boat and then get all of the dried dog food and acorns out of every nook and crevice, these rats had been collecting food for quite a while.

So, last summer, after finally getting everything working again and looking good again, we went crappie fishing. Larry was going through one of his compartments to get some more jigs when he spotted the mouse as it scooted to safety. I heard Larry muttering something about a mouse being in the boat as he tied on a new jig. The next day, Larry cleaned out most of the boat and set mouse traps, hoping to get rid of the mouse quickly. Well, he caught a mouse and all was well....for a couple of days until he spotted more mouse poop in several places. We were headed out to the lake for some night crappie fishing and he was telling me about another mouse being in the boat.

A couple of hours later, it was a dark night and we had the boat all lit up with lights in the water as well and were catching crappie. Larry turned around (he was in the front of the boat and I was in the middle) to tell me something when he suddenly came to life and took off past me to the boat motor. I had no clue as to what he was doing but now he yelled in delight as he stared out into the water. I stood up to see what he was looking at and he told me, "Look, there he goes, bet he won't get very far!" I looked to see the mouse swimming for all it was worth (perfect topwater bait for sure!). As we both watched and waited for the sudden action of a bass or a catfish sucking it under, it slowly made its way to a snag and climbed slowly up it to the top. We were both disappointed that nothing got it but there it was about four feet out of the water on the snag.

It was at least 15 yards from us and we were at least three hundred yards from the nearest land. We went back to fishing and ended up moving to another spot but not before making sure that the mouse was still there on the snag. A couple of hours later, we returned to the spot to try it again but the mouse was gone. We had no idea where it was, did an owl get it or did it decide to try to make it to another snag or even to land? we will never know but it never made it back to the boat.

By the way, that was the fastest that I had ever seen Larry move. He told me that when he looked back to say something, he saw it on the back deck and immediately raced to get it. He had grabbed something and as he neared the mouse, it jumped to the top of the motor and then bailed out into the dark into the water. He said that it started back for the boat but quickly saw him and then turned and headed for the snag. If it had been me, I would have gone into the water as well plus I would have done it in slow motion because that is my speed now LOL. DL

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW my wife would........ &%#*@

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Moral to this story is "Don't rat on Larry".
Marvin

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you gotta root for the one that gets away.

Reminds me of the time I was on the 14th floor of a new construction and a rabbit got flown up with a concrete form it was hiding in. I'll never forget the way one of the crew said "Look at him go!" as that rabbit raced around the deck. I had never heard such a mix of awe and remorse in someone's voice before and I have not heard it since.

Anyways, rabbits can't fly. :sadsmiley:

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have taken the mouse to shore and released him. Would have taken five minutes to do a good deed. No one should watch something suffer and do nothing to help it.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have taken the mouse to shore and released him. Would have taken five minutes to do a good deed. No one should watch something suffer and do nothing to help it.

lets see his friends tore up his boat i would of threw him in the lake

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dirtlooter!! Menaer Mouses!! He He!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lets see his friends tore up his boat i would of threw him in the lake

That's because your just a little kid. When you grow up, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What the watermelons(green on the outside, red on the inside) don't understand, and I am not accusing you FBT, is that nothing in God's earth goes to waste. The fact is that a wild mouse's chance of dying from natural causes is slimmer than a razor blade is thick.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but I will always try to help any animal that's in distress. It may just die tomorrow, but you never know.

This story is exactly how I look at life and the creatures in it:

A young girl was walking along a beach upon which thousands of starfish had been washed up during a terrible storm. When she came to each starfish, she would pick it up, and throw it back into the ocean. People watched her with amusement.

She had been doing this for some time when a man approached her and said, “Little girl, why are you doing this? Look at this beach! You can’t save all these starfish. You can’t begin to make a difference!”

The girl seemed crushed, suddenly deflated. But after a few moments, she bent down, picked up another starfish, and hurled it as far as she could into the ocean. Then she looked up at the man and replied, “Well, I made a difference to that one!”

The old man looked at the girl inquisitively and thought about what she had done and said. Inspired, he joined the little girl in throwing starfish back into the sea. Soon others joined, and all the starfish were saved.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is awesome! Great story Tim.
You seem to be a kind, caring soul. Best of luck as always.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Always enjoy the stories dirtlooter.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's is a cool story FreebirdTim. Probably helped the octopi out having all their starfish to eat get back in the water. I like octopi.

And you are right, it is good to be good to animals. On the other hand though, if one does not know what they are doing they can do more harm than good. Having good intentions and doing the right thing are separate realities.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 1: A very funny story but not to Larry. Last week, my proud and joy, Tippy my cat came in the apartment with a gift, a live little mouse. It got away from her in the bedroom and she lost interest in catching it. Now, I have to contact the landlord to catch it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread