✅ SOLVED A Musket Ball

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this might be a musket ball, but I've never found a musket ball before, so I'm not really certain. A lot of the pictures I have seen are far more round than this. There is a very clean indentation, I'm not sure if it would be from impact or from the molding process. The edges are flatened, maybe from rifling. I don't own a caliper, but it's about .71 in in diameter. Also, yes, it is lead.
2019-07-24 16.09.08.jpg 2019-07-24 16.08.12.jpg 2019-07-24 16.06.57.jpg

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The smooth sides would be from being rammed and fired from bore of the musket. There would be no rifling grooves.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Tony in SC has it right. It is a fired musket ball, and probably pre 1800 due to its size. A lot of Rev War British muskets were .72 and .75 caliber.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW if found in Pennsylvania 99% sure French and Indian War or more likely, Revolutionary War.

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of European odd ball firearms sold to both sides in the war of northern aggression came in some big calibers, especially the old German Potsdam’s and one could have made it out west with some settlers. Also, if pure lead is used the ball will look “belted” after firing. It’s an attribute we look for in competition with smoothbore muskets the only draw back is you must clean the bore every 5 or 6 shots due to excessive fouling. Nice find!!!!

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was an English maker named William Ketland who exported a lot of .72 Cal muskets to the Colonies and later to the new United States.

That's a big bullet, I'd hate to have been on the wrong end of it

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nola_Ken, I have a short land pattern Brown Bess and it takes a .75 ball!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW if found in Pennsylvania 99% sure French and Indian War or more likely, Revolutionary War.

Actually, I'm in NJ. There was a skirmish called the Battle of Watsessing about a mile down the road and about a quarter mile in the same direction there was a militia drilling ground.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Speaking as a multi-decade relicdigger at RevWar, 1812-War, and civil war battlesites here in Central Virginia, and a serious srudent of the projectiles uised in those battles... I'm 100% certain that your find is a fired (British) "Brown Bess" musketball. The wide flattened area encircling it (visible in your first photo) is indeed the "imprint" of that musket's smooth bore walls. I've dug many fired musketballs which show that distinctive characteristic. Also, its precisely-measured diameter of.72-inch is correct for .75-caliber Brown Bess musketballs.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relic I always wanted one none around here though. Congrats keep hitting that area

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread