A Mystery of Cumberland Gap, Civil War Ky-Tenn

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Around 1872 4 men traveled to the Cumberland Gap area from wise Va. looking for two caves that were about 8 miles on the east side of the gap. they had a letter from a Richard Harmon, that stated that he was with a union cavalry unit that was ordered to take the heights of Cumberland Gap and dislodge the rebel artillery there and go with a man by the name of Sellers, he new of caves that went from one side to the other and that two were large enough for horses. They were lead to a cave that went into pine mountain and exited on the Tennessee side just 8 miles from the gap. The plan worked and the gap belonged to the union. The letter said that in the caves they stored several cases of goods and powder. There were many carvings on the walls, Indian and what he believed to be Spanish writing with a map carved into a large rock that had fallen from the roof of this cave.

Has far has the story goes, the story was passed down and a copy of the story was given to my father. I do know that the four men and one i believe was a Harmon did not locate the caves. Some time in the late 1980's i was reading a book on the civil war in Kentucky and read about the battles for Cumberland Gap and it had a section on union cavalry going through the mountain and coming up behind the rebel troops there and catching them by surprise. Over the years i have read at different times that there are many caves along pine mountain. Boomer

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Boomer,
Somewhere around Pound Gap there is an area that (possibly) gave The Pound, Virginia it's name. According to the story/legend at a certain point on the trail to The Gap the hooves of the horses made a pounding sound because of the hollow or cave in the mountain. Pigeon Water Cave is a part of this system and odd treasure and artifacts have been found there. If a person could find where the pounding part of the trail was, a cavern locator or void seeker could pinpoint the cave and then a dig could be done to open a portal. The interlocking caves hide many treasures (according to legend) including possibilities of pirate treasure, some of Swift's hidden treasure, Shawnee Treasure and both colonial or Revolutionary War and Civil War stashes.
Can't remember the lady's name, but a terrific lady in Wise County (Maybe Wanda?) is/was in charge of the historical society and could be a wealth of information.
grizzly bare

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Grizzly, when i was heading south, one day i stopped at pound gap, when they were widening Rt. 23. Looked up the forman and told him about the stories that was told about the mountain being hollow around where the road was. He said Rt 23 was not built over the area were the caves were, Hmmmm.
He said the old trail was some 1/2 mile from the road has built. But was not sure of the location, he said the old trail went into Pound, Va. and angled across from there. He said that old Rt. 23 was blasted along here from solid rock bypassing the shell area. anyway? where is the old trail. On aerial photos there are three places that look vary old and do cross over from Pound Va. If, has the old stories go that there was a buffalo trail here. i can't find it. It had to be an Indian trail. To steep for buffalo and i wonder if anyone would chance taking a pack horse over this. there must be another gap near here, that horse or buffalo could use? boomer

Steve in VA.

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2005
Just thought I'd chime in. My family is from Pound Va. and I know the area well. The old road you all are looking for is off the main road (23) heading towards Kentucky. It's actually called the Red Fox Trail and it will take you all the way to the top of the mountain. This is the original route taken by Civil War soldiers. Near the top of the mountain in the winter time, you can see Confederate trenches on either side of the trail. This is also the trail which leads to the "Killing Rock" but that's another story. From my years in Pound, I'm not familiar with the cave story but that's not to say it's not there.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Boomer, Steve ,
Thanks for the information. I grew up in the area around The Pound and Jenkins and made the trip across the mountain many times with my family back in the 1950's. I remember well where the old Rt. 23 was. It's not right over the hollow section ( who would build a road over a hollow) but it was close. Many an oldtimer could point out where some of the landmarks are.
Steve, buffalo certainly did cross Pine mountain. Check the WPA records for Swift's Silver Mine. ( link is on here somewhere, just search WPA or Swift's mine) and look up Steve? somebody's book of the silver mine. He mentions the buffalo trail several times.
The Pigeon Water Cave story is well documented. Unfortunately the stone that Chief Cornstalk chipped his pictograph on is on private property and the owners take a dim view of treasure hunters. Mineral Springs is another marker on the trail to the cave. That should be down the mountain from the park (Jaycees?)
The Pound Va location is not that close to Cumberland Gap I agree, but the caves run throughout the mountains. They are interconnected. Grizzly bare

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Just an afterthought.
Steve , is that cool old roadhouse still in business? Isn't it on the Red Fox trail? Boy the "Killing Rock" brings back memories! There's Devil Anse now rising up behind it! Good to hear from a "Vrrginia Mountaineer". Haven't been home for a while to visit the folks but this thread sure has made me long for cornbread and beans and fried potatoes!
"There's gold in them thar hills!" is as true today as it was one hundred and fifty years ago. Here's hoping you all find your share.
grizzly bare
Southern by birth, Northern by acceptance, American BY GOD!

Steve in VA.

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2005
I'm planning on a trip back to Pound before Christmas so now I'm a man on a mission. The last time I went back I headed for the Red Fox Trail but wanted to head back to the Pine Mountain tunnel. I bought my boots and got back into the tunnel and took some pics if you're interested. I do know of an Indian cave off of Rt.23 on the the right side of the road as your headed toward Jenkins. It's just after Robo's. My father took me there when I was little and I remember seeing the carving of a knife inside the cave. The last time I checked on the cave, someone had removed the carving. Bummer.
As for the caves located near the trail, that's a tough one. As you pass the Pound Gap, you'll see the rock formation on the left side of the road. I'm no geologist but it would seem difficult for a cave to form with that type of rock formation.
I'm looking forward to visiting Pound and now that I have my detector, I have a ton of places to check out.
Speaking of the "Killing Rock" my great-great grandfather, Henon Fleming, was one of the shooters who ambushed those people.
The next time I talk with my father, I'll ask him about any caves near the trail.
As for the town of Pound, did you all know Kyle Roberson? He owned a garage in town and worked there until his death in 1994.
Just thought I'd ask.
Steve Roberson

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread