A Mystery ring (Help!), some silver, and four wheats!

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey guys, I wanted to get in another hunt before the snow comes, and therefore another forum post. Although I didn't find anything very exceptional this time, I am still very pleased with the current trend of finding at least two silver things each time out for the last three hunts, let's hope that keeps up or increases! As usual, here are my goods with some comments and questions.

2010 01 25 - 01 - total score.jpg
Here's the total loot. $2.60 in clad, four Wheat's, a silver Ankh, half of a silver ring with some little stones (mower hit, I assume), a mystery ring that needs to be identified, and a weird silver-plated graduation thing that appears to be a paperweight or something...

2010 01 25 - 02 - two silver and ring.jpg
Close up of the jewelry stuff.

2010 01 25 - 03 - 3 Wheats.jpg
Three of the four Wheat pennies I found... Not sure where the fourth one went, hah. 1926, 1944(not pictured), 1945, and 1955! Nice!

2010 01 25 - 04 - Silver plated thing.jpg
This is the weird thing that I believe is silver plated because a small piece but broke off and revealed the crap-stuffing. Any idea what this thing is?

2010 01 25 - 05 - weird ring a.jpg
Ok, when I dug this I thought I found gold, but now I'm not really sure. It 'looks' very much like gold but it doesn't seem heavy enough. That said, I don't have any gold things to compare to it, but it sure looks like the gold rings I see in peoples pics here, although a bit more rough. In this pic you see what looks like a brownish-red ring with gold-flakey stuff peeling off, but its actually the opposite. The more I rub on it, the more the gold-ish stuff shows. The inside of the ring is much less dirty/grimy, and more like what the outside appears to be after lots of rubbing on it.

2010 01 25 - 06 - weird ring b.jpg
For this last pic, I made my best attempt to represent the marks on the inside. I have spent an hour with a magnifying glass looking at the two marks stamped in there and I still have no idea what either one says. When you are looking at one, that appears right side up, the one next to it appears up-side down. I'm not sure, but that's how it seems.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me figure out what this ring is, as the mystery is driving me crazy. I will now say what I 'thought' the marks my possibly be until I gave up trying. (With the perspective shown in the pic)

Left word:

EPAD, FPAD, 99AD, BPAD, B9AD... The first two characters are very vague, but I am 95% certain the second two are 'AD'.

Right word:

MALE, WALE, HALE, WAGE, MAGE... With this stamp, I am not sure about any of it, it even appears as completely different words at different angles. I am pretty sure its four characters, but it could be five.

Sorry about the extremely underwhelming pics of the stamps/marks, they are so small and extremely shiny that my camera can't get any closer.

If anyone can help me figure this out, or even give an opinion as to what type of metal this even is, I would greatly appreciate it! I have googled the hell out of every possibility that has come to mind and all have been fails.

Thanks for looking, and happy hunting!

-EpsilonMinus

Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Those rings were popular in the 60s and 70s. Don't know why, but I saw plenty of them then. - Noodle

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Good job on getting out before the storm! I am NOT looking forward to Thursday >:( Very nice wheats! Even an oldie. 1926 is an early date for sure. Did you dig it deeper than the rest? It looks like it was deeper. Nice Silver too! I really like the Egyptian silver thing. Can't tell you anything about the ring, sorry. It's not gold in my opinion. You will know when it's gold believe me. But I have never dug a junk ring that had marks so I don't know. Great finds all around. Catch ya on the flip side of a really cold couple of days. ;D

TG

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
nice finds :thumbsup:

EP usually = ElectroPlate, but in my experience dug gold plate usually bubbles right off...so not sure what you have :icon_scratch: Might be worth getting checked, who knows maybe it's the real McCoy :icon_sunny:

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Cal_Cobra said:

EP usually = ElectroPlate, but in my experience dug gold plate usually bubbles right off...so not sure what you have :icon_scratch: Might be worth getting checked, who knows maybe it's the real McCoy :icon_sunny:

I agree, it looks like what is left to a gold plated ring to me. From one angle, the photo looks like it could read EPAG -- maybe it was not gold plated but silver plated? Underlying metal may be brass, which is what that ring looks like to me. Good luck with it though.

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
SkyPirate said:
Great close up pictures but those initials are really hard to read.
You're not kidding! Even looking at them through a magnifying glass doesn't help. I sort of get the impression that if its plated they stamped the metal under the plate, then plated it... or they used a really weak stamp. No idea, heh.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
imho the ring is plated over copper

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cal_Cobra said:

That's a very interesting clue for sure, I had no idea about that. Thanks!

vibes said:
You might want to do a search on shrimp rings:)
Wow, you are right on, I can see the mystery beginning to close, heh. Thanks, that is very helpful!

fmerg said:
imho the ring is plated over copper
I am sort of thinking this as well, actually.

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Texasgopher said:
Good job on getting out before the storm! I am NOT looking forward to Thursday >:( Very nice wheats! Even an oldie. 1926 is an early date for sure. Did you dig it deeper than the rest? It looks like it was deeper. Nice Silver too! I really like the Egyptian silver thing. Can't tell you anything about the ring, sorry. It's not gold in my opinion. You will know when it's gold believe me. But I have never dug a junk ring that had marks so I don't know. Great finds all around. Catch ya on the flip side of a really cold couple of days. ;D

TG
Thanks, man. I am not looking forward to the coming weather either. One of the things that bothers me just as much as the weather itself is the abruptness of it. You will be out in a t-shirt in the sun and then suddenly you can see your breath. I can't imagine how that might affect sensitive equipment like metal detectors. About the 1926 penny, to be honest I can't recall the depth of it. The place I went had such an imbalanced overload of pennies, and mostly very filthy ones, that as I found them, I just threw them in the bag, heh. It was like there was some type of weird party there where people were using pennies as confetti. Well, pennies and pull-tabs. That said, I don't think I found any coins deeper than like 5 inches that day.

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Noodle said:
Those rings were popular in the 60s and 70s. Don't know why, but I saw plenty of them then. - Noodle
Interesting insight there. The only times I have seen people wearing these they have been older, overweight people who have 'grown into them', as in having started wearing them prior to being overweight and now have no chance of getting them off, heh. That doesn't really apply to this one though, as it's barely big enough for me to get on to my pinky, heh.

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
p2c said:
I agree, it looks like what is left to a gold plated ring to me. From one angle, the photo looks like it could read EPAG -- maybe it was not gold plated but silver plated? Underlying metal may be brass, which is what that ring looks like to me. Good luck with it though.
I think so to, after reading the comments and opinions, that seems about right, regarding plating. I really don't think it's silver though, but maybe brass. I hope brass doesn't keep fooling me, hah. Thanks!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That graduation thing is made for a charm bracelet and probably a graduation present for a young lady. I found one I thought was plated but it was really heavy and it tested out 14k gold! That strange little thing I think is a sign of the zodiac but I don't know which one. Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it didn't help those old Egyptians as they are all dead now! Thanks for setting me straight. Next time someone asks me my sign I'm going to say Ankh and watch them scratch their heads. :wink: Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread