A new 1st (old) shotgun headstamp for me

2moshers

Dec 23, 2014
Pemberton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
008.JPG While not the most exciting of finds it is still a 1st for me. While metal detecting along one of our old streets here in town which is being redone (the curbs are 19th century) I found several 20th century coins and this ELEY BROS NO 12 LONDON shotgun shell head. While having found many shotgun shell heads dating back to the 19th century this was a first for me with this particular head stamp. From what I can determine it is probably late 19th century. Thanks for looking.

Upvote 8

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know why, but I have never paid much attention to head stamps. I know a lot of people really enjoy finding and researching them. I found 15 today but didn't clean any and threw them all in the trash.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why, but I have never paid much attention to head stamps. I know a lot of people really enjoy finding and researching them. I found 15 today but didn't clean any and threw them all in the trash.
Did you find all brass ones like this. Found today.
IMG_20150625_211130.jpg

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, they were the regular ones.

I didn't realise that they made brass ones like the one I found today until I saw this post and it reminded me of that strange shell I found today. I've found hundreds of brass shotgun shell heads but nothing like this.

OP
OP
2moshers

2moshers

Dec 23, 2014
Pemberton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I enjoy the most about many of my metal detecting finds is wondering about the possible history behind them. From coins and relics and old shotgun heads alike I can just imagine the who, whats, and wheres of each and every one. Being a long time avid hunter also peaks my interest in the case of old shotgun shell heads.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WE INTERUPT THIS POST WITH A SPECIAL NEWS BULLENTIN, TYLER TRIES TO OVER RUN 2MOSHERS POST AND GETS KICKED TO THE CURB . MOSH I HAVE A BUNCH OF HEAD STAMPS BUT NOT THAT ONE. AND AS FOR TYLER NOW WE AINT TALKING ABOUT NO DARN LIP STICK TUBE. OH THAT IS A SHOTGUN SHELL BRASS TUBE I GOT ONE OF THOSE.

Last edited:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be a Remington lipstick tube then. I guess though you you're an expert on lipstick Tubes and All Caps sutphin.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cool one with the London Stamp.

I used to recycle all mine ,until I did a little Research "Turtlefoot H.S.Project"
Now I keep all of them In hopes of a Market for certain Old less common Stamps.

If in good shape and cleaned right they may make a good Display Someday.
+ one less SGH in the field is a GOOD! Thing.
Davers

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are the harder to find ones, (around here) only dug 1 of that type years ago but was not in as good a shape as yours.

Yeah I've found tons but only recently learned of odd headstamps. And didn't know that shell cases were made of brass at one time. I guess that's my Learn something new everyday.

OP
OP
2moshers

2moshers

Dec 23, 2014
Pemberton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do have some displayed Davers in one of my several metal detecting finds display cases. 005.JPG

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a shotgun she'll that my buddy looked up and it was selling for $10 bucks, I have always tossed them it was a UMC with a star on it

OP
OP
2moshers

2moshers

Dec 23, 2014
Pemberton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought my display cases from the Kellyco company online Old Dude and am very pleased with them. The UMC (United Metallic Co) headstamp was on shotgun shells between 1867-1911 streakert. In 1911 UMC merged with Remington.

Last edited:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought my display cases from the Kellyco company online Old Dude and am very pleased with them. The UMC (United Metallic Co) headstamp was on shotgun shells between 1867-1911 streakert. In 1911 UMC merged with Remington.

There you go OD. become another satisfied Kellyco customer and buy you some cases and start checking those shotgun shells. Im going to start checking mine. They may even have a case for your War Nickel collection.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice headstamp!!

I bring my headstamps home and clean them up to see what I have. If it looks like a new one for me I keep it. Seems I find the same ole ones every time. Lol

My only really cool headstamp is a U.M.C. Smokeless.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found what I believe is a pretty rare "pin fire" shotgun shell in England. I didn't know what it was when I dug it. I still have it in a box of scraps from the UK...I need to dig it out and clean it up. Anyone else find a pin fire shell?

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I will find the time to sort these out and see if there are any interesting ones amongst them. The Eley cartridges are one of the most common found here in the UK interesting to see one turn up over the pond. image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
2moshers

2moshers

Dec 23, 2014
Pemberton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coincidentally Limey-digger, my mother is originally from the Stockton Heath, Warrington area. She grew up right next to the Manchester Ship Canal. I still have many relatives over your way.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread