A new guys digging question

Skybox7

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2003
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
A new guy's digging question

I recently bought a low end Radio Shack detector, ($39.95) for my grandson's visits.
We took it out in the backyard, found 37 cents, a couple wheat pennies and an old Tootsietoy toy car, and I was hooked! By the way, this Radio Shack model found these objects at a minimum of 3-4 inches, so from the limited amount I have read recently I would say it is an excellent unit for the price.
Anyhow, found out a permit was required to hunt the local city parks, got one and read the do's and dont's associated with it.
"No trowels, shovels, knives. Probes must be less than 3/8th's inch dia.. Sod may NOT be lifted in any manner".
My question is, how does a person get what he finds, out of the ground????????
I'm sure this has covered in this forum before but have been unable to find a post on it, so forgive me for taking up space with what is probably a stupid question.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT

Skybox; I won't offer advice on digging as tompy has done it for me but I would like to welcome you to our addiction.lol Fred

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA

That is a bad ordinance. It was caused more then likely by one person not filling in holes in the park. You can remove coins by useing a small scredriver but you will scratch most of them. They way this is done is by probeing till you find the taget. Then open a circle by moving the tool in a circle. Next probe down beside the coin and push it up through the small hole you made. Takes some practice but some are very proficient at it.

Personally I would stick to yards. They are not hunted near as hard most times if at all.

Doug-Iowa
DJs Detectors

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Best suggestion I would make, (but it will cost you more $, but ah, who cares, cause if you get into grass hunting you will need one anyway) is to buy a probe to find where the metal is in the ground before you scratch it. Check out www.vibraprobe.com. It's an excellent unit and worth every penny if you are going to dig dirt. Many times when you dig in dirt, you can't even see the coin when it is laying on the top of the fresh dug dirt.
This probe vibrates when it detects metal. In this way you can detect your coin. Try and pinpoint it's location as best as you can, then use the probe to locate it exactly, THEN slide your screwdriver in next to it and pop it out of the ground. Doug-Iowa described how to go about doing this above. This is exactly what I do. Don't be in a hurry to shove the screwdriver in the ground either. I have scratched my share of good coins by not being patient. Best to probe slowly until you meet resistance, then move your screwdriver over slightly until it goes past this resistance point. Then move it into a circleenlarging the hole as you go until you can fit the end of you probe in it. Locate your metal object and then use the screwdriver to pop it into the bigger hole, then dig it out with your finger. Caution: If you are hunting in sketchy areas always look at the target first before sticking your finger in the hole. I worry about parks these days because of the use of drugs and the possibility of detecting a used syringe. Always check before reaching into the hole.

Spirit

Jun 12, 2003
Philly

There is a product that is used to coat tool handles in a plastic. Most home depot type stores will have this. Try coating the tip of your screwdriver with it. I've been using a fiberglass tent pole from my old tent as a probe, it works ok. I have a feeling this will be of more use once i get a pinpointer.

bulltab

Jun 30, 2003

I hear ya!! I got talked to by the park guys in the town i live, but after calmly telling them all i use is a screwdriver and make small holes and fill everything he had no problem with it, by the way i showed him how i just search for coins by showing him my unit with the target ID MARK

D

dalef

Glad you posted Skybox7. I had been thinking of trying my luck at Johannes Park near East High. Surprised that there is such a dumb ordinance. If you get to the State Park you need a permit also and you can hunt the beaches along Lake Michigan, etc during certain times.

It helps to pick up all the metal trash you find, too. One beach netted me almost a whole case of empty beer cans. Sometimes thats worth more than the change I find. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread