A New Manicure Ruined but I Found My 1st Pocket Knife!

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just came in from another quick dig in the back yard. Only 30 minutes this time. Pulled up a piece of pottery or which I already have several pieces. I'll put them all together at some point.

Here's how the collection looked after pulling it out of the ground.
IMG_2222.jpg IMG_2223.jpg IMG_2224.jpg

Anyway, dug a 6-inch hole and saw what looked to be like a knife on the side wall of the hole. It is a knife! Super excited. Anyone know the time period? I'm assuming 1950's or 60's but I don't know anything about knives.
IMG_2225.jpg IMG_2226.jpg IMG_2227.jpg IMG_2228.jpg IMG_2229.jpg

The other large metal piece looks like a stake or RR nail? Also a chunk of metal and a piece of charcoal.

BIG QUESTION: How do I rescue the knife? What should I put it in? Naval Jelly, oil? Nothing? Help please. :dontknow:

Upvote 5

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you mentioned ruining a manicure, I had to visit your profile and glad it says you're female, lol! That faux pearl/abalone handle reminds me of the cheap grade Imperials they sold in the Ben Franklin Store back in the very late 60's, early 70's. I am no knife expert however. Hope you can get a definitive answer.

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a pocketknife similar to that a few years ago. Cool!

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you mentioned ruining a manicure, I had to visit your profile and glad it says you're female, lol! That faux pearl/abalone handle reminds me of the cheap grade Imperials they sold in the Ben Franklin Store back in the very late 60's, early 70's. I am no knife expert however. Hope you can get a definitive answer.
LOL! Gotta do somethin' to get people to read these things. The hole where that was dug has just gotten about 10inches deeper. I was out there again tonight. I keep getting hits and uncovering glass and clumps of metal in the form of rocks (can't remember what it's called) and b/c I have a new detector, I'm still trying to figure out how to use it as it is very different from my old one. I still might head out again tonight.... manicure and all.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're a braver soul than I. I still haven't bought one of those headlamp things. Watch out for possums and skunks! You'll ruin more than the nails!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wheatfinder13, by any chance know the best way to get the rust off?

It will probably come apart, it is rusted beyond repair (maybe)
Take it and use a throwaway plastic container. put the knife in then pour distilled white vinegar until its covered. when the vinegar turns black, put some plastic gloves on (manicure) and pull out the knife, wipe off the knife with old rag, knock off heavy rust with screwdriver if you can. Then change the vinegar and put the knife back in. This might take a week or so but it will eventually get you down to the bare metal (what is left of it)

Good luck and keep digging!
Nice knife!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
in the current state, considering what it is, you may want to try the electrolysis but that may be more involved than you want to do. I have never done it on rusted items but there are several who have and done very well

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will probably come apart, it is rusted beyond repair (maybe)
Take it and use a throwaway plastic container. put the knife in then pour distilled white vinegar until its covered. when the vinegar turns black, put some plastic gloves on (manicure) and pull out the knife, wipe off the knife with old rag, knock off heavy rust with screwdriver if you can. Then change the vinegar and put the knife back in. This might take a week or so but it will eventually get you down to the bare metal (what is left of it)

Good luck and keep digging!
Nice knife!

Brad, now I know how you keep your nails so immaculate!

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Here is a fun thing to try. I used wasted 9 volt batteries to learn. Practice on the piece that looks like a nail. First lay it flat and gently tap with a hammer. A lot of the concretion will fall away! Heres a coin inside concretion
DSC00644.JPG

second put some baking soda and water in a glass and get a 9 volt battery.(like in a smoke alarm etc)

strip two pieces of wire at each end. Wrap one end to the plus (positive) on the battery and the other end to a piece of clean steel and place in the solution.
then attach the other wire to the minus and the other to the relic. Put this in the solution and you should see bubbles appear immediately on THE RELIC. Heres pics
DSC00783.JPG
DSC00786.JPG
DSC00785.JPG

This is Electrolysis. !!!!

Here is a before and after of the piece above

Earing.jpg
After.jpg

As you can see the piece is silver. It took about three hours to do. You can see the water and clean steel go dirty and bits off dirt come off the relic.

This is a fun and safe way to learn the basics of electrolysis, practicing on an unimportant piece to start with!!!!

When you are confident with how the system works, then you can make yourself a proper electrolysis bath using mains electricity and a battery charger, or like me, an old mobile phone charger. Thats how I would clean the penknife!

I would recommend practising this safe method first, and then checking Beau Ouimettes ( Aquachigger) youtube videos where he shows how to do it in much greater depth.

Good luck

Word of warning- dont use Stainless steel as your sacrificial metal as this cause dangerous toxins. Normal steel is fine!!

Last edited:

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS Tap the piece of coal with a hammer also- it may be a concretion like the coin I posted above. I have found amazing stuff inside them. It seems to happen when two pieces of metal get buried together. Like kinders surprises for adults! Found at least six brooches like this, especially on beeches! Happy hunting!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds and looks like you're having fun! Nice to see some old stuff turning up in DC besides petrified politicians.

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS Tap the piece of coal with a hammer also- it may be a concretion like the coin I posted above. I have found amazing stuff inside them. It seems to happen when two pieces of metal get buried together. Like kinders surprises for adults! Found at least six brooches like this, especially on beeches! Happy hunting!

Two great pieces of advice. I've seen the electrolysis before but your example seems the easiest. I've changed light fixtures a few times so I think I'll feel comfortable doing this. I'll definitely smacking the other pieces... I seem to have a lot of them and think most are construction waste but you're right, who knows.

When I went back out tonight I found either a knife blade or a garden tool. I'll try the electrolysis on it and see what happens.

Hey Slingshot, go look at my post about my land deed. I may just find a petrified politician! Cheers All!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread