A new strategy for dumping halves(atleast for awhile)Thoughts?

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have recently found out 95% of banks in my area only send halves back in 1000$ dollar blocks. My new plan is to dump at every bank I don't pick up at the maximum of 800$ apiece.Iwon't get the same recycled halves near as much. The half boxes have begun to pick up nicely here as my last 2 boxes had around 8 ounces of silver combined. Thoughts?Opinions?Sarcastic jokes??!Lol HH!!Of course I can only do this strategy until I run out of banks but with the banks in my area they are all the same branches. We shall see.

Upvote 0

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing at all wrong with that strategy. Smaller dumps at multiple branches is good for your relationship with your dump banks. If they end up sitting on those halves for a couple of months, or until your next dump, it keeps those specific clads out of your supply stream that much longer - that's assuming that your dump stream and supply stream cross at some point. Otherwise, you are delaying the entry of your dumps into someone else's supply. Can't hurt though.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, its always a good thing to avoid filling a bag if you can help it because on a lot of machines, changing a bag is a complete pain. If you just ask them they should tell you how much their bag will take. Sure, sometimes due to other people you will fill the bag anyways, but tellers are often a lot nicer if you avoid filling a bag. Most coin counters are designed to allow for different bag amounts and so even the exact same machine in a different bank may have something totally different. For example, one bank I go to has $50 pennies, $100 nickels, $500 dimes, $500 quarters and I believe $500 halves and $500 small dollars. But each bank is completely different.

OP
OP
ImpurestStewart

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Generic_Lad said:
Yep, its always a good thing to avoid filling a bag if you can help it because on a lot of machines, changing a bag is a complete pain. If you just ask them they should tell you how much their bag will take. Sure, sometimes due to other people you will fill the bag anyways, but tellers are often a lot nicer if you avoid filling a bag. Most coin counters are designed to allow for different bag amounts and so even the exact same machine in a different bank may have something totally different. For example, one bank I go to has $50 pennies, $100 nickels, $500 dimes, $500 quarters and I believe $500 halves and $500 small dollars. But each bank is completely different.

We don't have the mythical free coin counters like some people do. I have to reroll everything and turn it back in.So they take up room in there vault.

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generic_Lad said:
And I believe $500 halves and $500 small dollars. But each bank is completely different.

Gah! TD bags of halves fill up every 100$! (With the coin counter, aka penny arcade). No fair. On a lighter note I dumped 400$ of halves rerolled in machine wrappings instead of using the coin counting machine. Good for everybody except other crh'ers in my area, costs me slightly more time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread