A new way to recover gold from streams and creeks?

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please look over these pics first, then read below.
ribbed material upclose.JPG
ribbed material.JPG

I was thinking.

I work at a place that produces what you see in the pics above. I was thinking why couldn't a person find a good creek or stream and take a piece of that material and stretch it from one bank of the water to the other side of the water and hanger it firmly down... Then come back after a few big rains and recover the rolled out blanket of material and see whats to be found?

Is that crazy?

Thoughts please.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure, give it a try. I've read both good and bad reports on this strategy...never tried it myself. Would love to see how it goes for you!

OP
OP
B

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, give it a try. I've read both good and bad reports on this strategy...never tried it myself. Would love to see how it goes for you!

I was thinking to. Even smaller scaled down designs of the same principle would work maybe. In other words. I've noticed how its popular to check at certain places in streams and creeks to find gold.. you know by cracks and big rocks, curves, etc.. So why not just make like small pieces also. Not sure of the design at the moment, but something you could place near areas, that would be popular in catching gold. Target that area with a piece small enough only to catch that area. Anchor them down and wait for a while. Like placing a mouse trap. I think you could make some really good products out of something like this.
It would just be a waiting game wouldn't it? Few big rains or so? Lol my company scraps out lots of this material.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What Other rubber/poly pressed material dowa your company offer the dump; free of charge?

OP
OP
B

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Other rubber/poly pressed material dowa your company offer the dump; free of charge?

"Here to listen much, ask questions and offer assistance".

I can't help what 'they do with their scraps. I was only looking for 'others thoughts concerning gold.

Apologies.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:) indeed, I thought maybe you were witnessing loads of useful matierial being taken to the dumps is all.

Gold hog has matting for every instance.
Moss works well under correct flow as well.

Appologies on my end as well

OP
OP
B

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:) indeed, I thought maybe you were witnessing loads of useful matierial being taken to the dumps is all.

Gold hog has matting for every instance.
Moss works well under correct flow as well.

Appologies on my end as well

To be honest with you. I have witnessed many times what your saying and many times I've suggested alternatives= deaf ears.

But, if something could come of this threads thoughts then maybe something could become of the waste, that plants like mine produce.

...just thinking.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
come back after a few storms......start walking downstream and see if you can even find the things is more like it. The type of flow that moves gold will rip them out and away they go. That's why it is more effective to learn to sample and read rivers, streams and deposits in gold bearing areas.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anchoring it against the ravages of high water will be the hard part. Once you figure that out it will work. Even if it's inefficient you will have gold without shoveling and thats a win.
The old timers used to chisel grooves in the bedrock then come back the next summer during low water and clean them out. You can still find them sometimes... :icon_thumleft:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys have been doing things along those lines for years and years Bloodlines. With a little effort it can catch a lot of au. G/L

OP
OP
B

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, thank you all for the comments, appreciated. I'm still going to go out one day and give it a try. I'll try small streams and such to see what happens. It will be awhile because of the weather, but when I do, I'll come back and tell you what happened.

Thanks again

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, if you have enough flow to move gold, your mats will be moved as well. Perhaps finding some exposed bedrock, and cut some drop riffles into it.

OP
OP
B

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, if you have enough flow to move gold, your mats will be moved as well. Perhaps finding some exposed bedrock, and cut some drop riffles into it.

I was thinking whatever I stretched out from one bank to another ... I could then stretch out a roll of chicken wire over top of that and then anchor it with long spikes. I think the chicken wire would be a great way to keep it in place.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
It has been my experience it takes a tremendous amount of flow to move gold. If you could somehow anchor I guess it is possibe, but the type of water to move pay, also tosses small boulders down the creek like pebbles, don't know of any anchor device that will be able to with stand that. but won't cost much to try. Post pics of your results.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Greek legend of Jason and the Golden Fleece was based on the use of hides of sheep with the fur left on being submersed in rivers and recovered later to extract the trapped gold.

OP
OP
B

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I try it I'll look for a stream about 10ft or smaller and where it's 1ft deep or less and right after a waterfall hopefully.
I'll lay it maybe 2-3ft from fall, place chicken net from one end to the other and then pound in long stakes around all the edges.
By doing this it should lay pretty flat. Wait a few weeks after a few good rains and then go get it. ..and pray. lol.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just remember...after the river uproots your mats spikes and chicken wire, wads it up and ties it all in a knot around a tree...you have to remove the mess

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread