A newbie but a Limey

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Hello folks. Not sure how welcome us Limeys are around these parts but then again showing up places and upsetting the natives has never really been an issue for us folks so I dont suppose I really care if im unwelcome 😃
Im from the north west of England and detect in Lancashire and Occasionally Yorkshire. Been into the hobby seriously now for past couple of years. My first year was looking back now having suffered a relative drought since last summer, spectacular. Couple of gold coins, plenty of silver coins, Romans, medieval hammered and my best fund to date, a 4000 year old bronze axehead.
I say a drought but I've still been finding items of interest, even had my first and only American coin last week. Found in a hedge on an old country road 1855 cent. Very worn though, our acidic soil isnt kind to copper.
Anyway intro done, and looking forward to seeing what my colonial cousins are digging up out west in the great wilderness.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: UNITED KINGDOM for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.

OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Welcome! It sounds like your summer was pretty spectacular alright. Care to share any photos of those finds
Welcome! It sounds like your summer was pretty spectacular alright. Care to share any photos of those finds?
thanks for the welcome. And don't you worry I'm not the type to be shy about showing off shiny things.

OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Welcome to the forum
Looking forward in seeing some of the prior finds.
Thankyou.
Here is one of my favourites.
I'd found some nice early milled and even a couple of Roman denarius and was desperate to find an English hammered.
And then up came this beauty. I've had a lot more hammered coins since but never one in as fine a condition as this one.

Attachments

• ca2a4368459568b9.jpg
    ca2a4368459568b9.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 48a92c38f74c6759.jpg
    48a92c38f74c6759.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 8

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thankyou.
Here is one of my favourites.
I'd found some nice early milled and even a couple of Roman denarius and was desperate to find an English hammered.
And then up came this beauty. I've had a lot more hammered coins since but never one in as fine a condition as this one.
Lizzie is a real beauty. (Did I just say she's a beauty?):laughing7:

That's a real crisp strike, a Groat or a Six Pence?

OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Wow...great stuff! I would love to see a picture of a 4000 year old bronze axe head
Albeit not as ornate as the socketed axeheads of later periods. This one a slightly flanged flat axe of the Migdale type is about as old as they get

Attachments

• 409e1e26f23442fd.jpeg.jpg
    409e1e26f23442fd.jpeg.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 9
  • f810bc13b6c2398a.jpeg.jpg
    f810bc13b6c2398a.jpeg.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 9

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go. The last King of America too
Well then...God save the King! Of course you are welcome here, I like both, your finds, and your native food...Fish & chips...sounds good for tonight.

OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Well then...God save the King! Of course you are welcome here, I like both, your finds, and your native food...Fish & chips...sounds good for tonight.
Thanks pal. It's more Pie and Pea' s here in Lancashire. The north east of England up around Newcastle and Sunderland is where you'll find the best fish and chips (has to come with mushy peas) in the south and London though, well forget it. There's a serious skill to trying. My town doesnt have a decent chip shop. It has a few and a couple do really well but they really are poor. I guess I was spoiled as a youth having good chips shops around me And was commenting only the other day that most people must be ignorant to what proper fish and chips feel and taste becausr they wouldnt accept the greasy yuck that passes for it these days as theyre doing

OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
My goodness!! That is an amazing find! Thank You
A bronze age find was always high on my wishlist and I knew straight away Id found one.
Perfect session that one too. A nice mid summer evening on a brand new permission and bagged within first ten minutes. Was led flat in the ground (probably a votive offering) at about 7 inches deep. Gave a banging signal. If only every session was that easy

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread