A newbie to dectecting seeking help/advice

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey All,

I purchased a Whites GMT last year and have been out twice with it before checking some local creeks.

I have done mostly placer mining and sluicing, and feel like I have a good understanding on what is needed to be a productive area.

However, when it comes to detecting I am having a much more difficult time trying to find places to go. I know I'm probably surrounded by them being located in Dutch Flat, but I just don't really know where to look. I know the pits are a place where some go detecting, but I can't imagine most people spend their time there.

I'm not asking for you to give up your secret spots or anything, but if there is any general advice it would be much appreciated.

Also if you would be interested in teaching a young kid some of the tricks in person that would also be very much appreciated.

Thank you and I look forward to the replies.

Calgeo

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I can't help on any Calif locations. But if you want to really get to know your machine get yourself a kiddie pool and fill it up with some dirt. Place several target items in it at different depths and then use that to practice with. I've been placer mining for about 35 years now and just got into detecting. It isn't something that you can be good at without a lot of time practicing with your machine. I've just gotten to the point that I can tell hot rocks from gold by the difference in tone so that's something.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regret not spending more time in the steep gulches that border the ancient channels like Dutch Flat. The SF Yuba was quite similar in topography, with Malakoff, Alpha, Omega, and Relief Hill diggings, and the
time I spent with just a gold pan, prospecting the small "drainages" near the hydraulic diggings showed real promise. They are not gold deposits but rather gold occurrences. The difficulty in crashing through thick foliage in steep terrain with a metal detector, insures they are not "all worked out". Its up to you to decide if its worth it or not - I never found out due to having placer gravel on the river below.

OP
OP
C

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for that advice. I am still young and foolish enough to get into some seriously rough areas. Did you look at the major drainage's only or the smaller ones too?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for that advice. I am still young and foolish enough to get into some seriously rough areas. Did you look at the major drainage's only or the smaller ones too?

I'm talking about the gulches that barely show on GE, closeup. For example, (I don't know the legal status) the area west of Lowell Hill rd. (north of the Bear rvr) and Steephollow creek, I count about ten little gulches that were part of the ancient channel
now eroding.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread