Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been metal detecting for a VERY long time but in all that time, I have never found an arrow head.
Don't know why, guess my eyes just aren't tuned to them. LOL

Anyway, I just found this recently. Is it? How do I tell?
2015 (721).jpg 2015 (720).jpg

Any info appreciated.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a small triangle to me. Quartz is so hard to see the work on it. Cant tell if the base is all there or not.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a small triangle to me. Quartz is so hard to see the work on it. Cant tell if the base is all there or not.

I know! It was tough to take any decent pics of this thing! LOL
In the pics, the lower right side looks like part has broken away. But, there is what appears to be work done to make each edge tapered. They seem to come to a fairly sharp edge in a ">" sort of shape. Would more pics help anything? What angles?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Looks and sounds like a nice point with complete base to me. Just a little damage to one corner.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cherokee Indians were masters for making points and tools out of quartz in my area.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first point! Many times, triangles are broke on one corner. Maybe it was a function of how they struck something that makes that a common break. Dunno, but that's a nice first point for you!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the response folks! It really is nice finding a first anything!! But, it's not like I haven't been keeping
an eye open for these. I have been looking every time I go out! For a VERY long time! And, to find this one, laying on top,
next to a tree, in a schoolyard!! Somehow, it's just a bit more special to me! LOL

Is this what is called a "bird point" ? I am just barely, "south of the mason dixon". ;)

Again, thanks for all the information!

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a bird point, it's a generic term and can be a little misleading, an "arrowhead" is more accurate gauging from it's size, and could have been aimed at many thing besides birds. I think that's what "Quito" was suggesting. Nice find!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely a point. Congratulations. I've been surface hunting points for years, looking for material and texture more than whole shapes because rarely is the entire point lying flat on the ground. Now that you've broken the ice, I bet you start finding more. Just as in MDing, location has a lot to do with where you'll consistently find points although they can be anywhere.
HH

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most arrowheads are Knifes or cutting tools. Yours by the size looks to be a true arrow head. I know you dig a lot of cool things but this may just be your oldest find. I think I saw this in your other post. Many sites were recognized and used by Natives for thousands of years and then early settlers.
Nice find. It has a bifurcate base for hafting and was probably used on big game or even an enemy. :thumbsup:
HH

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most arrowheads are Knifes or cutting tools. Yours by the size looks to be a true arrow head. I know you dig a lot of cool things but this may just be your oldest find. I think I saw this in your other post. Many sites were recognized and used by Natives for thousands of years and then early settlers.
Nice find. It has a bifurcate base for hafting and was probably used on big game or even an enemy. :thumbsup:
HH

What's always been a puzzle to me is that I have been looking. Every time I go! LOL And it took this long to find one! Must've not been looking very hard huh. :dontknow:

Yeah, this was in the other post but it has been such a long search, I just wanted to get the experts opinions. I'm satisfied now.

To think! I found this in a bare ground spot, under a tree, at a modern day school! LOL Go figure! LOL It just HAPPENED to catch my eye as I was "walking".

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Many quartz points are found in South Carolina . Here are just a few.

Attachments

• SC Points.jpg
    SC Points.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 70

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
I see them regularly here in GA.
I believe I have found 2 that can be confirmed that look almost identical to yours...but as others have mentioned it is so hard to tel...and the quartz is literally everywhere around here!
I don't know what era they used quartz or any of that but I'm learning'
What state are you in? Best of luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread