A NICE Barber Quarter... right before we got booted.

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asked permission at two separate farms to detect an adjoining field where a school house once stood. Farmer "A" said that farmer "B" owned the field corner. Farmer "B" had the original school bell on a post in his yard, said I could detect.

Detected for about two hours before a "land owner" came and told my brother and I to leave. ???

OH WELL!!!!!! Left with a toasted wheat penny, and this awesome Barber Quarter. :laughing7::laughing7:

Sunday was a beautiful day!

Attachments

• IMG_3067.JPG
    IMG_3067.JPG
    938.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3068.JPG
    IMG_3068.JPG
    566.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3069.JPG
    IMG_3069.JPG
    561.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3075.JPG
    IMG_3075.JPG
    851.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3076.JPG
    IMG_3076.JPG
    536.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_3077.JPG
    IMG_3077.JPG
    540.3 KB · Views: 208
Upvote 22

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin, of course.

But, I'm curious as to what the owner said about his neighbors.
I don't usually ask for permissions, I usually hunt public spots. But, when I do, I ask them to jot down a note giving permission. In case I'm asked. Now, if it's just somebody's yard, I might not but if it's a large field, I always want something to show I asked.

If the one giving the permission doesn't own it, they might just find themselves paying for part of the fine for their humor.
It's important nowadays folks. Don't hunt somewhere without knowing you have proper permission. You might get asked to leave via a shotgun full of rocksalt, or worse.

You SURE look like you would be hurting that field with your great big digger! :dontknow:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that nice Barber and sorry you got the boot. I have only had 3 written permissions. Two from the local state park for 2014 & anotherfor 2105. My third one is for the local Dump property. I research who owns a property prior to asking and when I get a yes and am questioned during my hunt, I simply drop the name of the owner I spoke with. It has works on the few times I was questioned and asked to leave by a concerned neighbor. I also have a few unlimited permissions (by this I mean I can stop and detect whenever I want, no notice required) but most permissions I feel obligated to let someone know I am there to detect before I gear up.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save before the ole' boot!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome silver :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
mack0238

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! And it's a New Orleans "O" mint to boot!! Pun intended. Lol. Nice coin.

That was pun-derful!

Yeah, permission is such a touchy part of all this. I found out that the guy with the school bell in his yard was not the land owner, and as I recall when talking to him, he said "the chances of someone stopping to bother you are slim to none"

RIGHT. Slim to "maybe that giant fat guy who needs to shower wants to talk to me"

Ok, that was mean. Whatever... I'd hate to wreck his soybean stubble.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting kicked off like that was real blowoff for sure. Swell quarter find.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just goes to show ya some ppl are nuts...I have agreements for farmers I and they sign and having a notary partner it works out well.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand the story - You got permission from the farmer who owns the land, then a "land owner" told you to leave? Didn't you tell the "land owner" that you have permission from the owner of the property to metal detect? :dontknow:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often a landowner will lease out the farmland to a farmer who may live on the property he is farming. Does not make him the land owner. Kind of like somebody who is renting an old Victorian home from somebody else...the land lord. The renter may not be able to give a legit permission. Not sure if that was his situation or not but that is sometimes how it works.

Nice Barber BTW

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find. Congrats on the coin, sorry about the boot.

OP
OP
mack0238

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK.....All-in-all, HERE'S what happened.

There was a field site that I wanted to detect, and I knew the name of the landowner from a modern Plat-Map.

I asked the nearest farmer if he knew said person, and that farmer told me to try a nearby farm where he thought the actual land owner lived.

The next house was not on a farm, but it had a school bell in the yard, and that (very nice) homeowner said that the ACTUAL landowner was in a local nursing home. He told me that he went to that school himself when it still stood, and that I would have a slim chance of anyone bothering me. So I detected it. (at my own risk)

When the guy came to tell us to leave, I asked him right-out if he knew the guy in the nursing home (actual land owner)... and he said "yeah, that's my dad...and we don't want anyone on this field".

So, as far as this thread goes, I did NOT give a clear explanation earlier as to why I got booted... in reality.. IT WAS MY OWN FAULT.

I suppose I could have called the nursing home and asked for the guy, and then told his son that I "got permission from his dad". hahaha.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the Final Explanation.
Assumption is the Mother--------
I have hunted over Ten years & never dug a Barber Quarter in any condition.
IMO You Did very well.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer about the boot. Looks like a good time. That's happened to me a few times. I always try and get the land owners phone number at the very least, in case I run into trouble. Nice Barber I have not found one in over five years. :dontknow:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
OK.....All-in-all, HERE'S what happened.

There was a field site that I wanted to detect, and I knew the name of the landowner from a modern Plat-Map.

I asked the nearest farmer if he knew said person, and that farmer told me to try a nearby farm where he thought the actual land owner lived.

The next house was not on a farm, but it had a school bell in the yard, and that (very nice) homeowner said that the ACTUAL landowner was in a local nursing home. He told me that he went to that school himself when it still stood, and that I would have a slim chance of anyone bothering me. So I detected it. (at my own risk)

When the guy came to tell us to leave, I asked him right-out if he knew the guy in the nursing home (actual land owner)... and he said "yeah, that's my dad...and we don't want anyone on this field".

So, as far as this thread goes, I did NOT give a clear explanation earlier as to why I got booted... in reality.. IT WAS MY OWN FAULT.

I suppose I could have called the nursing home and asked for the guy, and then told his son that I "got permission from his dad". hahaha.

Congratz on a great coin! Also, I really applaud you for taking responsibility for your actions and not trying to blame everyone and everything else. I complain to my wife all the time about no one taking responsibility for their actions. :weee:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That explains it! You took a chance and it paid off - No harm. Everyone lived and no one got hurt :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread