A nice jar, and the nice jar that I smashed...

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

BE CAREFUL. My new philosophy is that glass is always breaking, and that we can only do our very best to divert this dark and powerful energy, and fend off those glass breaking demons. And I could use a good exorcism right about now!

Anyway, I went far the other day, to check out this small water body that I thought might be a man-made pool for irrigation, but discovered that the pond was wreathed with some of the mightiest old oaks I've ever seen, and that it's undoubtedly a natural feature. There are lots of stones in the area, and I found numerous moss-covered piles around the edge of the pond. Then I discovered one of the strangest dumps ever. There were a few old televisions and electronics, a bunch of modern chain link fence in rolls, a few tarps and carpets, about a dozen bed mattresses, and six or seven much older fruit jars - on top! Weird. The dump had been infiltrated by raccoons and there were feces everywhere and I don't think I'll ever decide to really wrestle with this one. Conveniently, everything I was looking for was on top, and everything I didn't want was underneath...

A couple of the Crown jars there were from the 50s and 60s, but sticking out near the very top of the dump was the mouth of a jar that looked amethyst. And it was! I don't know why it's taken me this long, but this is my first intact "beehive" shaped Crown jar. The other Crowns I've found are all either more rounded on the shoulder or lack a shoulder entirely. Anyway, I spotted a second earlier specimen in the grass and it too was perfect, and it had this great smokey colour - little did I know, this jar only had hours to live, and the clock was ticking. I also found a Kerr jar but I left it behind, not old enough for me. If you guys find out that these are rare in a half gallon size or something, let me know.

On the way home I had the pleasure of walking a treeline along a clover field and being surrounded by hundreds of monarch butterflies.

So, the amethyst jar cleaned up beautifully, it has no haze, no damage, it's a beauty, I'm happy with it. But, the guilt of dropping and breaking the second one on the edge of the sink might outweigh that. This is probably the third or fourth time that I've got home with a nice bottle or jar and had to say goodbye almost immediately. Oh man, it looked soooo good, no haze, perfectly clean and clear glass, and BAM. I had the remains in a box and in the garbage outside lickety-split. Heck no, I ain't got time for tears or taking pictures, get those glass breaking demons OUTTA HERE!

So say your prayers and be careful. I'm gonna be stringing garlic all over the darn place the next time I clean my finds.

I've also included some pictures of the iron things I've sandblasted and painted black lately. I will say, the lamp base looked cool when it was rusty. I'm not saying it looks better or worse now, just different. The paint still appears glossy but after a little time and some dust collecting, it should look old all over again.

Good luck and happy hunting,

NJ

DSCF5875.JPG DSCF5805.JPG DSCF5773.JPG DSCF5779.JPG DSCF5781.JPG DSCF5789.JPG DSCF5801.JPG DSCF5792.JPG DSCF5863.jpg DSCF5907.JPG DSCF5032.JPG DSCF5938.JPG DSCF5927.JPG

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow, the Crown jar is a beauty. Congrats :icon_thumright:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and sorry about the one that broke

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a wicked nice jar! Congratulations :occasion14:

cje

Apr 7, 2009
clinton ma
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign xs
Man those are sweet jars. You have to go back and at least scratch the surface.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That crown jar would look nice on top of that base with a bunch of marbles in it. (Just a thought) lol. Congrats

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still have things that you did not have before And most of them are great additions . I lost 2 really good items for me in the past year .One I dropped while cleaning and another I broke while trying to get it out of it's holding place . I thought it might be a good one for me and than got too aggressive as I was working to remove it from it's hide out . Yes we hate it but I often wonder how many I have missed because I did not dig another inch deeper . Maybe there are more to found at that location

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Dang NJ very nice jar indeed. Oh the ones that the demons get to. Ugh. I hate hearing that ever so slight noise of a bottle crack as it happens. Yikes. I’d be going back for sure and scratching around a bit more. Jgas.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your kind words during this very difficult time, haha.

Hawks, I have put a bottle on top of the lamp base before! It looked kinda neat, but in the end I think they looked better separately. I might actually make some kind of lamp using the base. And, I just remembered that I know where another lamp is, another old one. I'll have to get out there and dig it out.

fool, those are wise words! I told myself right away that I could have ended up with nothing at all, but it still stings. I don't get to dig whole jars very often, at least ones this old. I'm grateful that the other one survived the wrath.

jgas, this is why I said your flask made me feel a bit better. I can't really whine about a jar like this. But, if that flask was perfect and you yourself had dropped it in the sink, you would have been torn in two!

I will go back to this dump. Not for a while, but I will. For now I just want to forget about it, haha. I'm gonna go digging today at a closer and more familiar spot, just relax and dig without any expectations. I'll let you all know if I find anything.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NJKLAGT I come home plenty of times with nothing to show for my time .I suppose it happens to all of us . I would rather enjoy finding a nice item and than not have it again . For example about two years ago I found a nice acorn brass bell .Once I had it clean up it sound prefect. So brilliant me decided it would be nice to put it on my dogs collar We went for about a mile walk through some heavy cover . I am trying to train her to find shed deer antlers . When we got back to the truck I noticed the bell was gone .I have not re found it yet and do not think I ever will . But it was fun to have it for a while

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm not expecting to live forever surrounded by my finds or anything, I understand that. It happened a few days ago and I'm pretty much over it now, I already went through the stages of grief. Today's dig is where it's at!

RevAndy

Jun 16, 2018
RI
Detector(s) used
Teknetic 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did someone call for an exorcism?

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey NJ my Avatar is my major crier. It was perfect. Had it tumbled and the shoulder popped. Aaahhhhhhhhh! Noooooo!!!!!! It was a heartbreaker but what the heck. I still have it as it was epoxied back into one piece. I suppose that’s why they call glass fragile. I dang near fainted. The thrill of the hunt gets me going again and again. Jgas.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch, that sucks, man. Is that the banner flask from the pit right behind the house? Ugh, you dug it up perfect but then the darn TUMBLING demons got to it? I've wanted to try tumbling an old L&W flask that I have, but I'm a little afraid to. I know a guy who charges something like 30 bucks a bottle, but that price always seemed outlandish to me, especially if the thing were to break...

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
$8-$10 a bottle is a good rate to tumble. But still ya take the chance. It’s a crap shoot out of a crapper! Lol.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread