Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone seems to be describing their hunts as "EPIC" these days. Allow me to show you what NON-EPIC is like :headbang:

Anyway....

I have been working an old house site on an ex-girlfriends parent’s property off and on now for a number of years. Previously I have found a couple draped bust large cents, a couple 2 cent pieces, 15-20 IHPs, and 15-20 older buttons, including several large tombacs. The place was probably built in the very early 1800s and used up until the 1980s. Lately I have been finding some early buttons and other relics in an area away from the house where another house may have stood. All the large tombacs have come from this area. Saturday, the ground was not frozen so I thought I would give this area a shot and try to hit some high grass that has been matted down some from recent snows. Good targets were few and far between, but I did get another large tombac button, a toasted and unidentifiable copper, a reins guide, and an 1898 IHP.
Parks.jpg

I followed Saturday's non-epic hunt with another non-epic effort on Sunday. I wanted to hit a well pounded colonial site further up in the mountains, but when I got there the field was frozen solid. So I went back down the hill with no good backup plan. I stopped at a house that I had hit casually many years ago, but had got 5 or 6 mercs out of the yard and figured there might be more. There are still plenty of targets in this yard (I left many penny signals in the ground), but the only silver I got was this little silver ring.
Ring - Dirt.JPG Ring - Finger.JPG

Here is everything that that I took home from this yard, and didn't throw away, with the exception of a gas valve that I am saving for Thad (PA dirt_NC sand) :laughing7:
Harts.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 29

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumleft: Love the silver ring you found

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds. Congrats. I like the IHP and that’s a great looking ring. Well done.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did better than here watching it snow!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YAWN yep non-epic....NOT! Love the IHP:icon_thumright:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm going to have to wait now for my non-epic hunt with 6 more inches on the ground!!!! Shoot Steve,nothing wrong with that dig :icon_thumright:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call that a very decent hunt. Congrats. The Tombac, Indian, and large copper would make it epic for me.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, gas valves are epic finds my friend. You had a great weekend. Congrats !

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ! The Indian Head Cent alone would have made it epic for me ..but you PA guys/ gals find those things like I find Zincolns !!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you had a very good weekend, congrats! :occasion14:

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice IHP! I like the buttons and the ring too. Congrats!
icon_thumleft.gif

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a productive weekend to me, I went out Sunday and brought back one IHP because the ground was like concrete and I was happy I didn't come back empty. Anyway, congratulations on the saves

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, gas valves are epic finds my friend. You had a great weekend. Congrats !
And you were witness to the most EPIC of all gas valve recoveries......This one still has not been topped :notworthy:
Gas Lamp.JPG

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ring and other finds. I think most people mean they had an “Epic Time”. A bad day of treasure hunting is better than a good day of not hunting. We have a great hobby. Now there’s a good question for us to ponder. Is it a hobby, sport, job, pastime, vocation, service, fitness program, or all this and more. It’s a great whatever.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my big question is this buddy....and I won’t judge you based on the answer. Did you date this girl because her parents had an old property that you wanted to detect? Lol. I can’t think of many better reasons to start a relationship. I’m guessing if that was a bigger property with even better finds you’d be married to her. Nothing wrong with those finds buddy. Obviously very nice history there.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my big question is this buddy....and I won’t judge you based on the answer. Did you date this girl because her parents had an old property that you wanted to detect? Lol. I can’t think of many better reasons to start a relationship. I’m guessing if that was a bigger property with even better finds you’d be married to her. Nothing wrong with those finds buddy. Obviously very nice history there.
LOL Abe :laughing7: She was my first high school sweetheart. We moved to Texas together when I got out of college and we almost got married. I've been back in Pennsylvania for 25 years and she's still in Dallas on her second husband. But I'm still welcome on the property haha!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ring and other finds. I think most people mean they had an “Epic Time”. A bad day of treasure hunting is better than a good day of not hunting. We have a great hobby. Now there’s a good question for us to ponder. Is it a hobby, sport, job, pastime, vocation, service, fitness program, or all this and more. It’s a great whatever.
For me Epic is "one for the ages", and that can't happen too often. I figure I have had maybe 7 epic hunts in the the last 14 years. I might just make an Epic Hunt post on the Best Finds Forum - lol. But I would answer your question - all of the above!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread