A Norwegian based in Spain - Metal Detecting.

EngraverHand

Mar 3, 2024
Sitges, Barcelona, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, just a Norwegian guy working as a hand engraver, based in Barcelona, Spain.

Just got my first MineLab Equinox 800. Always had a good eye for finding things and since I was a little I used to go for "finding walks" with my grandmother.. A metal detector has always been on the wish list and I finally got it. I did an engraving job for a friend.. and gave him a good price, and he gave me a good price on his "old" Equinox 800.

Been out for a couple of days already visiting my parents in south of Norway and already fond a bunch of coins, some golden items (probably not real gold) a couple of rings and some 1800 old metal.. I´d say a good start :-) Looking forward to explore more..

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard my fellow Viking!

What part of Norway are you from?

My great grandfather was from Tonsberg, his parents were from Sweden. My great grandmother was from Gisliv Denmark.

OP
OP
EngraverHand

EngraverHand

Mar 3, 2024
Sitges, Barcelona, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard my fellow Viking!

What part of Norway are you from?

My great grandfather was from Tonsberg, his parents were from Sweden. My great grandmother was from Gisliv Denmark.
Thank you! :-) Well, I´m born far north but I only lived there a couple of years and moved around a lot.. but most my adult life I was growing up in Kristiansand but the last 20 years or so before I moved to Sitges, Barcelona I was living in Oslo. :-)

I´m back in Norway quite often, but my daily life is in Spain :-)

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Post some of your finds as well as your work, be very interesting to see. I once found a 1714 Skilling here in the States.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish Law re Metal Detecting:
We all know of detectorists going to Spain who take their metal detectors with them, to "do" the beaches. Most of them don't seem to have any problems, but they could!

If you consult with the Spanish Tourist Office in London their general information sheet states "The use of metal detectors is not allowed unless an import license for the detector has previously been issued. Further enquiries should be made to the Spanish Commercial Office. The Commercial Office in turn will provide the following info (in brief):

Because the use of metal detectors inherantly involves the finding of national heritage/archaeological/treasure trove items anything found by this method of recovery could be covered by the relevant law (Historical Heritage) of 25/06/1985 & Royal Decree of 10/01/1986. It would then be necessary to comply with the complex proceedures outlined in these enactments, making it highly unlikely that any item discovered could be removed from Spain. The consent if given can take several months and if of historical/artistic interest it would be unlikely.

Basically they are saying anything found should in theory go through the appropriate assessment, even current coinage!

There is further legislation unrelated to the historical /cultural aspect which could cause a detectorist problems. The metal detector being used may not comply with radiation safeguard legislation.

Finally if this hasn't put you off. There have be complaints from local Naval authorities that use of Metal Detectors interferes with electronic communications.

These problems relate to both land and beach detecting in Spain.

The official advise therefore, is that is preferable NOT to use metal detectors in Spain.

Source: Detecting in Spain from Detecnicks https://www.detecnicks.co.uk/Spain.html

Welcome aboard...

OP
OP
EngraverHand

EngraverHand

Mar 3, 2024
Sitges, Barcelona, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only been hunting for a couple of days so probably not to much to brag about, but I think I had a good start.. the one is a silver ring and that´s not too bad :-) By the way I love the rainy weather.. In Sitges we have more than 300 sunny days a year, so this is perfect :-)

After follows some photos of the work I do as a hand engraver. :-)

3968bc42-b3e9-4860-92eb-59efed81e55c.JPG
IMG_9534.JPG
IMG_9554.JPG

374146756_10168724345325405_4854242375382314903_n.jpg
398499316_10168882089685405_6337599417709071260_n.jpg
398607055_10168904955005405_1151870550616863129_n.jpg
417476116_10169184703835405_5585381373966875895_n-1.jpg

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been hunting for a couple of days so probably not to much to brag about, but I think I had a good start.. the one is a silver ring and that´s not too bad :-) By the way I love the rainy weather.. In Sitges we have more than 300 sunny days a year, so this is perfect :-)

After follows some photos of the work I do as a hand engraver. :-)

View attachment 2134950 View attachment 2134951 View attachment 2134952

View attachment 2134946 View attachment 2134947 View attachment 2134948 View attachment 2134949
Very nice work.....

OP
OP
EngraverHand

EngraverHand

Mar 3, 2024
Sitges, Barcelona, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spanish Law re Metal Detecting:
We all know of detectorists going to Spain who take their metal detectors with them, to "do" the beaches. Most of them don't seem to have any problems, but they could!

If you consult with the Spanish Tourist Office in London their general information sheet states "The use of metal detectors is not allowed unless an import license for the detector has previously been issued. Further enquiries should be made to the Spanish Commercial Office. The Commercial Office in turn will provide the following info (in brief):

Because the use of metal detectors inherantly involves the finding of national heritage/archaeological/treasure trove items anything found by this method of recovery could be covered by the relevant law (Historical Heritage) of 25/06/1985 & Royal Decree of 10/01/1986. It would then be necessary to comply with the complex proceedures outlined in these enactments, making it highly unlikely that any item discovered could be removed from Spain. The consent if given can take several months and if of historical/artistic interest it would be unlikely.

Basically they are saying anything found should in theory go through the appropriate assessment, even current coinage!

There is further legislation unrelated to the historical /cultural aspect which could cause a detectorist problems. The metal detector being used may not comply with radiation safeguard legislation.

Finally if this hasn't put you off. There have be complaints from local Naval authorities that use of Metal Detectors interferes with electronic communications.

These problems relate to both land and beach detecting in Spain.

The official advise therefore, is that is preferable NOT to use metal detectors in Spain.

Source: Detecting in Spain from Detecnicks https://www.detecnicks.co.uk/Spain.html

Welcome aboard...
Very good post! :-) Now I have a permanent residence and married with a Spanish woman, and I guess it´s not illegal to own a metal detector in Spain? To use one might be different.. I could always use it to bring with me on holidays elsewhere..

Anyway, where I live we have 17 km with beaches. I was thinking to see if it was possible to ask for a permission to use it.. and if I would use it, it would most likely be very early in the morning, before normal people waking up. Obviously not running around all the oily tourists on the beach.

Also if such a permission would be possible, i would not have any issues to show everything found and deliver in everything old and Spanish. :-) At the same time I would clean up the beaches for tins, rusty screws and beer caps..

If no such permission, there are loads of beaches where is way less crowded nearby and pretty far from any living area so I would imagine that would not interrupt any electronic communication.. but only guessing.

Or maybe I have to put on my diving suit hehe

Over the beaches in Sitges, there is a drone flying a few times a day to check any activity. Not specific for metal detecting obviously, but any suspicious activity or..

Before I do anything I would ask or apply for a permission.. anyone heard of anyone got such a permission?

Regards Marius :-)

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread