A passionate newbie!

melanie.w

Mar 3, 2024
I just inherited 5 acres in SC. It’s my family childhood home place. I have a small branch that runs through my property and spills into a large creek that also on my property. None of my family has ever mentioned seeing any gold on the original 40 acres but none ever seem to have had any interest. Me on the other hand loves looking for native artifacts and we hike all over. I have found some awesome arrowheads on my property, a lot of blue clay. Many many enthusiasts of this area, says there is gold in every creek around here. They have even said there was a gold rush here before the California gold rush. My area is a historical district and is also where the first peace treaty with the Cherokee Choctaw and creek natives was signed. I love the rich history! My question is how do I find out if there has been gold found in the exact location of my property or in my surrounding area. Has it always been documented well, or is there topographical maps with that information, before I even start trying to pan or set up a sluice in the creek on my property? Thanks in advance for any help!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just inherited 5 acres in SC....
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: SOUTH CAROLINA for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your State University or Bureau of Geology (or Mines) should have information that would help you identifying minerals is you location. Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max international
Garrett AT Gold
Radio Shack MICRONTA 3001
AT propointer
34'' Bushpro stainless steel tree planters shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
đź‘‹ Sounds like a very interesting area to explore! If not much can be found online relating to history of property picking up a metal detector and searching for relics may give up some clues..? specially if anything is found with engravings including names, dates or even location.
Cheers and happy hunting!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The closer you are to N. C. The higher your chances of finding gold on your property. The first gold strike was in Cabarrus County northeast of Charlotte, N. C. Google a picture of the gold belt in S. C. should help since you didn't say what city your in. Welcome aboard!

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia and Congrat's to you on your newly inherited property. The Best of Luck to you.

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just inherited 5 acres in SC. It’s my family childhood home place. I have a small branch that runs through my property and spills into a large creek that also on my property. None of my family has ever mentioned seeing any gold on the original 40 acres but none ever seem to have had any interest. Me on the other hand loves looking for native artifacts and we hike all over. I have found some awesome arrowheads on my property, a lot of blue clay. Many many enthusiasts of this area, says there is gold in every creek around here. They have even said there was a gold rush here before the California gold rush. My area is a historical district and is also where the first peace treaty with the Cherokee Choctaw and creek natives was signed. I love the rich history! My question is how do I find out if there has been gold found in the exact location of my property or in my surrounding area. Has it always been documented well, or is there topographical maps with that information, before I even start trying to pan or set up a sluice in the creek on my property? Thanks in advance for any help!
Welcome aboard…. Is it possible that you can grab four or five buckets and go out and take samples from the same number of different locations, pan it out and see if you have some color?!? Might be worth a try🤔 As well as checking local geological reports, check with the county and looking on line for land history in the immediate area… May be able to also view old platt maps for more history of the area….outhouses, dumps, structures no longer standing, etc… Locally there is a small museum that has the older platt information, which is nice for my situation, but locally your county should have all that platt information for you to view.
The Native American history is also worth looking more into, searching higher areas and places where rivers fork/meet—as you say is on your property is probably worth taking some time to search. Either way, good luck to you!👍🏼

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome and good luck on your property!

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Sounds like a wonderful piece of property. I read you said something about blue clay? I collect artifacts myself. What’s your thoughts on this blue clay? I see it in one creek I hunt and was wondering about it. I’m in N GA. Welcome to the site and post some of your artifacts in the NA forum I’d like to see them. To respond to my questions you will have to quote my response or I might never find it again.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Howdy melanie.w - Welcome!

Yes, our first gold rush was in Georgia. So much gold was found that a branch US Mint was established there. You may be able to obtain, via inter-library loan, a copy of Cry of the Eagle by Forest wade.

Every state has a division of mines and geology (some have different names). They each have a wealth (pun intended) of information - most of it either very inexpensive or free.

Here's a sample Gold In Georgia (1933):

C:/Users/windows-10/Downloads/IC-1%20(1).pdf

Depending on what part of the state you are in, one or more of these might be useful:

There are books, maps, posters! Just put "gold" in the search bar:

Perhaps you can set-up a sluice on your property and let the running water do the work. At least to get you started.

Let us all know what you're up to!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread