A pair of "turn on and go" Whites detectors

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
A pair of "turn on and go" White's detectors

Hello beach hunters,

I posted this Q. over in the Whites/M6 forum but noticed it's pretty dead there. My best friend came into a lot of money. He knows I'm a detectorist-he bought a ring from me. He just bought a 19' boat to cruse the bay. So when he's not fishing or crabbing, he wants to detect. He's aware of the reputation of White's Electronics and so that's what he wants. I had a Whites and loved it - but that was in '73. These days I run an Ace 250 that would beat the pants off my old Coinmaster. I'm assigned to pick out the model for him and any companion he might have (hopefully me). It has to be "Turn on and go" simple, however money is no longer an object-fun and easy to use is the new objective. Even though it's supposedly a beach machine, he may not want to be limited that way later. Just in case (my opinion) they should have a multipurpose resale value. My ideas started with an M6, but then I watched the DFX videos at White's site. I haven't watched the Spectra V3 videos yet. I checked out what some of you were using in your profiles. I'm stuck picking a White's though - you don't want to argue too much with the guy with money to burn.
To summarize:
What White's is "Turn on and go." simple, great at the beach, but not limited to it?

I'd rather have posted about the old narrow-gauge rail I found yesterday, or the rings and IH cent I found over the weekend. But this assignment took me from lurking for months to signing up, so there's nothing to bitch about.

BatCap

Upvote 0
M

miser

Re: A pair of "turn on and go" White's detectors

It doesn't exist. If he wants a "turn on and go" for the water, he's better off getting a PI machine and be ready to dig a ton of trash.

Land detector's that "turn on and go" cannot be taken into the water unless you've waterproofed the control box and that is almost never a certainty.

When you get to the high dollar machines where price is no object, there is no "turn on and go" machine. To get full use of it, he would need to learn all about it, which would take time. Better he buys two machines, one for water and one for land.

If its water and he loves White's, he probably wants to look at the Beachhunter ID. It's PI, but it does help weed the trash. Just watch out for the boyant coil. It irritates some people.

As for a good "turn on and go" land machine that can work on the sand of the beach as well, get a Tesoro Silver uMax for about $240.

The combination of both machines with accessories should run him less than $1000.00.

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

miser said:
. . . If its water and he loves White's, he probably wants to look at the Beachhunter ID. It's PI, but it does help weed the trash. Just watch out for the boyant coil. It irritates some people.

As for a good "turn on and go" land machine that can work on the sand of the beach as well, get a Tesoro Silver uMax for about $240.

Yea, people glow over the silver uMax, and a couple of the MineLabs. I am about sick of the identical "Ding, Ding Ding" of my Ace, which despite Crackbadger's glowing references is generally considered a poor beach hunter. In any case I'm not going to argue with the man over brands. He wants White's; he gets White's. I on the other hand will not limit his purchase to beach only (unless he insists). Then I would pick a Beachhunter 300. over the Surf PI.

Without putting the head unit under water(i.e. BEACH machine/not underwater detector), I see some of the higher end White's have so-called beach/salt presets. Are the presets any good? I'd tweak mine and help him adjust his, but I can't assume I'd be there for him every time he goes out. He might get into it, but he might not get so obsessed that he'll take a lot of time to really learn the machine. So, I'm looking for something easy to use for a beginner(presets), with sufficient tweaks for an enthusiast.

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

batcap said:
miser said:
. . . If its water and he loves White's, he probably wants to look at the Beachhunter ID. It's PI, but it does help weed the trash. Just watch out for the boyant coil. It irritates some people.

Yea, people glow over the silver uMax, and a couple of the MineLabs. I am about sick of the identical "Ding, Ding Ding" of my Ace, which despite Crackbadger's glowing references is generally considered a poor beach hunter. In any case I'm not going to argue with the man over brands. He wants White's; he gets White's. I on the other hand will not limit his purchase to beach only (unless he insists). Then I would pick a Beachhunter 300. over the Surf PI.

Without putting the head unit under water(i.e. BEACH machine/not underwater detector), I see some of the higher end White's have so-called beach/salt presets. Are the presets any good? I'd tweak mine and help him adjust his, but I can't assume I'd be there for him every time he goes out. He might get into it, but he might not get so obsessed that he'll take a lot of time to really learn the machine. So, I'm looking for something easy to use for a beginner(presets), with sufficient tweaks for an enthusiast.

I have an MXT and took it to Atlantic City first of June..set to Salt mode and worked the beach all day in the dry wet and even at waters edge with no issues. You can go in the water with the shaft just be careful how deep you take it ..any splash up and your control box is toast ..then its time to buy another machine. And be sure to wash it off well when done on the beach or the salt water and sand will corrode over time.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, What I would Give to have a Boat in the Bay.....

Beach Hunter ID, it's not a PI....A DFX inside no bells and whistles..Just lights to help ID...About as close as your going to get to a dual purpose machine and still be a White's. Good Luck with the coil, maynot be to much a problem in the Bay,....Watch my Video Of Finderzzs, his has the floating coil, not much of a problem, calm water.......Good Luck....Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Man, What I would Give to have a Boat in the Bay.....

OldeBeechnut said:
Beach Hunter ID, it's not a PI....A DFX inside no bells and whistles..Just lights to help ID...About as close as your going to get to a dual purpose machine and still be a White's. Good Luck with the coil, maynot be to much a problem in the Bay,....Watch my Video Of Finderzzs, his has the floating coil, not much of a problem, calm water.......Good Luck....Joe

Since he wants a White's it has to be the Beach Hunter ID 300. It is a turn on an go but only waterproof to 25 foot. If he isn't planing to dive this is no problem. The coil does want to float and that is why I didn't like it, but you can add a sand filled sock to the shaft if it bothers you. The coil is light weight for the above water hunts and depending on the location is can be stable in the wet sand too.

But if he wants the best, he should get a Minelab Excal 1000. Just ask what everyone else is using.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman and others are correct, if he insists it has to be a Whites and he insists he wants only one machine for land and water, then the Whites Beach Hunter 300 or ID is the only way to go.

Ask him if he was going to take up golf, would he only buy one club to play with and if so which one.....Water hunting and land hunting are 2 different animals, there is no one "do it all detector". It is like trying to use a driver to putt with, it can be used, but is not the right choice..........

M

miser

Re: Man, What I would Give to have a Boat in the Bay.....

OldeBeechnut said:

My error. thanks for clarifying.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

(1)-Beach Hunter ID
(2)-Mxt w/6x10 DD Eclipse coil for all purpose,i.e.Coin,jewelry,prospecting and beach but not submersible.

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300

beach hunter id 300 ...... just 3 knobs.....it has a preset mark on the sensitivity knob to adjust it to leave it on....volume knob it can run silent w/o the buzzz which will make you deaf over time. The ground control knob i leave at 12 o"clock since i do not hear any difference no matter how i adjust it...but finds gold just fine if i go over any.

definately a turn-on-and-go machine.

and being waterproof you don`t have to worry being caught in the rain if a sudden storm pops up....like it did to me 2 times this month.
i like it just for that.....i can hunt in the rain while most others scurry for their cars to go home!!

:tongue3: good luck in your venture and i`m sure he`ll be taking you along to hunt. :thumbsup:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

If you need a guide, I have a GPS with about 29 old Beach's programed into it, All are private..but you can detect them up to the water line, Best to do it before or after hours....... I was thinking Jet ski in the future, but there is more Gold on the ocean fronts..OC, VB, AC.....Anyway good Luck, I think you will be fine with the White's BH ID's but there are several detectors that work better in the Bay.............Joe

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!

Beach Hunter 300! :icon_sunny:

It's my main vlf water machine and it finds gold! :tongue3:

I also own a CZ20 and Infinium......... both see plenty of water action too!!!

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

OldeBeechnut said:
If you need a guide, I have a GPS with about 29 old Beach's programed into it, All are private..but you can detect them up to the water line, Best to do it before or after hours....... I was thinking Jet ski in the future, but there is more Gold on the ocean fronts..OC, VB, AC.....Anyway good Luck, I think you will be fine with the White's BH ID's but there are several detectors that work better in the Bay.............Joe

He may loosen up and consider other brands just about the time I've been convinced to use the BH ID. You said something about a Finderzz video. I haven't checked youtube yet but I didn't see it on a search of Treasurenet on keyword finderzz. I would like to see that one in action. White's site has some really good videos online of some of their products, but but not of the Beach Hunter ID.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If your friend is dead set on a Whites then you have your answer. But I think you should maybe ask these guys, "If you had to pick, what would be your top 3 good, ease of use, all purpose machines?" Then I would show the answers to your friend because, while it is a good machine, I doubt a Whites would make the list very often. This should tell him a lot from a bunch of guys who know what they are talking about. Just a thought your friend may wish to consider.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions