A petition of formalety on the zinc pennys.

Lizard-Prince

Jun 5, 2008
Bayamon P.R.
Detector(s) used
DFX,BH ID,5000s2,AT Max,MX Sport,Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hope you will all agree with the letter I sent to United States mint.I think it's time to have a change for the better and not the worst.What the heck was the metal composition coin designer was thinking when he placed this crappy aliation to circulate? I want my coppers back and have variety in my coin recovery I love my cents as well as all others.
Bayamon P.R. 4/15/2009

Dear folks/To who ever may concern:

This is Ralph A. Carrasquillo a treasure hunter and a metal detector enthusiastic since 1982. I am using since then only the best White's and Garrett. The reason I write you is my worry and concern over the Lincoln memorial penny's. Ever since the introduction of the zinc cents I and many of my metal detecting comrades have experienced the unpleasant impression of recovering these coins in a state witch is not only shameful but detrimental for the image of our country. The lost coins on hitting the sand or ground their dis composition is almost immediately. We have recovered these coin only to throw them in a trash can because they are no longer in condition to circulate, the bottom line is we metal detecting enthusiast wish and ask please return our copper resistant memorial cents back into circulation and issue a cancellation of this current lousy composition of this coin. It is in a kind way I ask this as a professional treasure hunter and a coin collector since joining the wonderful hobby of metal detecting. I speak in the name of others like I that take great pride in what we do and don't want the world to know that the U.S. Treasury makes lousy choices at the time to chose their ingredients for our nations economy metal currency. I am sure you folks will do the best to correct this issue as we all like to have variety in coin recovery in our hunting forays. With this I close this letter in hopes that the matter brought to your attention is of valet y and can be canalized properly to a happy ending. Here with this note I send 7 cents a few of the many I have recovered in my hunting for rays so you can see what I mean.
Yours in good faith

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think their aliation had many valeties canalized.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well here they went to all the trouble to design a biodegradable coin that wouldn't litter up the soil and you're complaining?

It is sad. I find half-dissolved zinc cents at one park where they use nitrate fertilizer. They look like chewed up chocolate chip cookies in just a few seasons.

And the "gold" dollars look like big cents, or just brown stained junk metal, after exposure to the elements.

The future of coin-shooting is in the past. :-(

Ltr113

Mar 3, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, White's Prizm IV, Bounty Hunter Scout
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no economist, but in a nutshell, isn't this a perfect example of the US dollar's decline. I mean, wouldn't the dollar become devalued by making more dollars without the gold to back them. On a micro-scale this same scenario is happening with the memorial penny. The zinc penny is here today, gone tomorrow. It's been minted with material that is less valuable than [the copper] in a penny. (yeah, I know I'm still trying to wrap my head around this...) If the penny was minted with at least .01 worth of copper (melt value) instead of zinc..... ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread