Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 years of hunting and I got tired of finding steel magnetic Canadian cents, nickels, dimes and quarters in NY bank rolls, so I call Loomis and suggested they eliminate the issue with a MAGNET to catch the various junk coins before they are re-rolled. the person I spoke with was not aware of the issue and he would relay my complaint to the distribution center supervisor, he actually seemed sincere when I advised him that local banks throw Canadians in the dumpster, no store cashiers will accept them and businesses get stuck for the loss. hoping this one small step cascades across the country and we can finally search rolls without keeping a pail for junk world coins. :BangHead:

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope your plan works out for your sake, where I am from, we seldom get Canadian coins in our rolls.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like finding Canadian. I keep them to use for fishing trips!

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't find many foreign coins in my boxes, maybe one out of every three or four boxes of dimes searched. But I sure as hell find a lot in the coin machines. I plan on taking a trip up to Canada soon to spend it all.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
2 years of hunting and I got tired of finding steel magnetic Canadian cents, nickels, dimes and quarters in NY bank rolls, so I call Loomis and suggested they eliminate the issue with a MAGNET to catch the various junk coins before they are re-rolled. the person I spoke with was not aware of the issue and he would relay my complaint to the distribution center supervisor, he actually seemed sincere when I advised him that local banks throw Canadians in the dumpster, no store cashiers will accept them and businesses get stuck for the loss. hoping this one small step cascades across the country and we can finally search rolls without keeping a pail for junk world coins. :BangHead:

The person sounded sincere because that is his job to sound sincere.
Loomis knows what they are doing. Their coin counters are capable of weeding out non US coins, they choose not to!

The coins that Loomis re-rolls belong to the banks and they want the credit for those coins

It goes like this, person walks into a bank and deposits $100 in dimes
Of those 1000 dimes say 10 are Canadian.
Those dimes as well as other rolled coin goes out to Loomis to be counted and re-rolled.
The bank paid for the coins by crediting the account of the depositor, they aren't going to take the hit.

I get a far amount of canadian dimes in my searching.
also I pick up a lot of foreign coins in and around the coin counters I use.
I go to Canada a few times a year to dump coin, search Canadian boxes, and buy duty free Crown Royal

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett GTA-1000, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....local banks throw Canadians in the dumpster, no store cashiers will accept them and businesses get stuck for the loss.

In Western NY, the cashiers don't look that close at the change and Canadian coins get mixed in with US change all the time. No one is throwing anything away, since Canada is so close, certainly not banks. It was just 3 years ago that the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar. The only problem is with vending machine not accepting the Canadian coins. Also, with all the different looking cents, nickles and quarters now, even the US coins of the same value look different from each other. On occasion, when I get Canadian change back, I may question it, telling them that I didn't pay with Canadian, so I didn't want any back.

Last edited:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Careful what you wish for. They can install a coin sorting that sorts out anything that doesn't fit the clad specifications. In some areas of the country, they do that so they get zero silver. As far as Canadian coins, I'm not that concerned as long as their currency enjoys parity with the U.S. dollar. I wouldn't say anything if you want to continue finding silver. Don't shoot yourself in the foot. In the long run, you hope what you find in silver out gains any foreign coin losses. I have a bag of foreign coins gathered over time, I think they're interesting conversation pieces.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tally for the 1+ years hunting: Qtrs. 36 boxes= 6 US silver and 55 pieces Canadian, Dimes 165 boxes= 113 Rosies & Mercs., 5 full Canadian rolls. nickels 323 boxes= 579 keepers of all types, including many errors, buffs., a few "V"'s, and 46 rolls of Canadians. Cents 99 boxes= 1600 Wheats, 6 '98 &'00 WAM's, a few Memorial errors, 1 pound '97 -present Canadian, and 13 POUNDS pre-'97 Canadian with 39 King George's. another pound of various world coins 20-some countries, all magnetic. just sold $138 face value Canadian Q,D, and N for $142 USD with free shipping. current exchange rate at $1.25 Canada = $1 USD.

& Mer

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually get 2/3 face value in Canadian for US Currency moving it quickly locally. With reject chute finds, it can quickly make up for the losses.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neither of us were aware of the 125 to 100 exchange rate, so I lost $22 on fees and shipping, buyer ate it on X rate. just happy to free up the cash. since the sale found another 31 Canadian nics. on 3 boxes, worst nickel box this year had 30, worst dime box ever had 32. they add up real fast doing 1K a week in P, N and Dimes, plus the rejects left at the machines. just grin & bear (or beaver) it!!!!
How do you do that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread