A pic of me

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
OK, it is a couple years ago, but it is indeed, me. I am holding one of the first muskets produced by the US govt, my (and my father's) 1795 musket, made right here at the Springfield Armory (has been converted from flintlock to percussion unfortunately).

gun1.jpg

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
that is one big gun! how much does it weigh? how did your paw get it? passed down? would be awesome to have its history

garyf

Jul 10, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
My wife and I are planning a trip to Massachusetts this summer and I was thinking about a side trip to see the armory in Springfield. Is it worth the trip? My g-g-grandfather carried a Springfield rifled musket in the Civil War.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Welcome to Mugs Stan!! Glad to have ya here and love the musket! Looking forward to seeing some finds as well as the history of the musket! :thumbsup:

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Welcome to Mugs, Stan. Very cool musket!

OP
OP
stanjam

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thank you for the warm welcome. Let's see if I can't answer some of your questions. Yes, I am the guy with the Civil War sword lol.

History of the musket (as well as one other musket and the sword). My father owned a commercial heating and air conditioning company. He did some work for a man as a favor (the guy couldn't pay, but desperately needed the work done. My father was admiring the guns and sword, so the gentleman gave them to him as payment. Evidently he had no idea of what he had (he had some idea about the sword) except that they were old.

My father had no idea either, but mounted them above an old fashioned mantle/fireplace he built. While at the armory, I recognized the model, and saw that it was similar to the 1805 Springfield. I made notes about the markings of the gun after doing some research at the armory. Looking at the stamp, I learned that the first year the armory made the gun, it had a very unique stamp, with the Springfield label curving on top of the stamp. This was very unique on this gun. Sure enough, the stamp is curved.

The gun had been modified to a percussion model from the original flintlock. This was very common. Forget how much it weighs, but it isn't exactly light!

Someone asked about the armory, and is it worth the trip. If you are interested in the history of weapons manufacturing by the US govt. then this is THE place to go. You will see not only all the weapons made at the armory, but a lot of other historical weapons as well. It is quite a neat place to visit. When I have time, and my teaching duties permit (I teach at the college that is on the grounds) I find myself hanging out at the armory. The armory made the very first weapons manufactured by the US government right up to the M-16 currently used by our military. If you like this kind of stuff, you will enjoy your visit here. I work in many of the buildings that once made up the armory, and some of the features are neat (gun hanging racks still in the buildings etc.).

I would love to do some MDing on the grounds, but it is a federal park and a historical landmark.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gun Stan...too bad was converted, maybe someone could restore it back to flintlock...ought to be worth some money. Thanks for sharing your mug. :)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Stan,

Great to see ya! That's a nice story about the musket. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your finds, good luck & happy hunting.

:wink: RR

WelcomeSign2.gif

Attachments

• WelcomeSign2.gif
    WelcomeSign2.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 680

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Nice to see you after 23 years :wink: What moved you to the "big" city? TF class of 85? :icon_study: If you come home, I can show you what Country junk looks like? :D

Welcome to TN Stan.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard.
Nice piece of american history you have there.

Steve

garyf

Jul 10, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
Stan:
I visited Springfield Armory in July. It is an amazing place. The Park Service ranger told us that the upstairs storage area of the museum has even more guns...they don't have enough room to display them all. Anyone interested in the history of early American weapons should visit this place.

If I ever go back to Massachusetts, I'll visit the armory again.

Sorry I didn't see you there, Stan. I was looking for you. :)

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Stan....Nice firearm. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread