A Picking Conversation: Vintage Paint-By-Number

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Something I'd like to learn more about is vintage paint-by-number kits and completed paintings.

Does anyone remember back 8 years ago or so, when PBN stuff was selling for S-T-U-P-I-D amounts of money?

I've picked a few PBN completed paintings over the years, but have never been able to score anything great. I think the best one we had was a PBN of Jesus at the Last Supper, and we sold it for $25 at the flea market. For whatever reason, I always seem to miss the mark on vintage PBN.

For instance, when clown related PBN was selling for moon money, I was finding only cat and kitten PBN that couldn't be given away. And when I finally found a horse scene PBN, buyers only wanted dogs and flamingos.

Is there any rhyme or reason to this market, or is it just a very fickle market that cannot be out-guessed that runs from one extreme to the other?

Is anyone knowledgeable on what has driven this market in the past, especially when prices for completed PBN was at it's peak?

If you had a vintage PBN from the 1950's, what category would you list it? Mid Century, or PBN?

FWIW, I picked a PBN last night...of course, of a cat, that isn't really even worth listing, LOL.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well, after a quick search on Google, I've kind of answered a few of my own questions:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_by_number

And who would have ever thunk that there was an on-line museum for PBN?:

www.paintbynumbermuseum.com/

These sites help explain why there was a tremendous spike in the PBN market many years ago.

I'd still like to learn more. Anyone have thoughts, ideas or opinions on the topic?

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well, after a quick search on Google, I've kind of answered a few of my own questions:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_by_number

And who would have ever thunk that there was an on-line museum for PBN?:

www.paintbynumbermuseum.com/

These sites help explain why there was a tremendous spike in the PBN market many years ago.

I'd still like to learn more. Anyone have thoughts, ideas or opinions on the topic?

The links are not working. Not sure if I did something wrong, or if I'm not allowed to post links since I am not a charter member.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I would guess, painted or not , how well painted, how rare, subject matter, would all play a part in what sells and what doesn't.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Art" (I use that term lightly)... and those who buy it... something I have yet to decipher. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for the replies!

I'm glad that I started this thread. I've learned quite a bit about PBN. For the longest time, I thought the PBN market was being driven by the Mid-Century collectors and enthusiasts.

I'll continue to pick up PBN whenever I find them cheap. I probably have .25 in the cat PBN that I bought a few days ago. I still think that I can get $10+ for it at an antique mall.

I hope this thread has helped you all too...hopefully you might pick a large, high quality PBN and flip it on the bay for a nice profit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread