A picture of some of my junk and/or stuff...

silverthorn

Mar 19, 2008
Livin' in my Checker Marathon down by the river...
Detector(s) used
Old willow divining rod... No more wire hangers !!
Hi Folks! Here is just a shot of the contents of one of my cigar boxes of silver and some other stuff. This is just a small amount from a partially filled cigar box that is on my desk to so I can toss my silver into one place. Usually I have silver, as my wife says, all aver the house! In a couple days I intend to grab a couple of my horde boxes and lay stuff out in my light box for a more professional looking photograph. I have a lot of polishing to do! Who says sterling doesn’t tarnish! I don't polish the coins or ingots, usually.

Pictured here is a tarnished, hand-hammered pin-tray made in England in the early 1900’s. It was handmade from a sheet of flat stock silver. It is well made and I like the fact that it has some imperfections but still looks great. Some kid’s metal shop project! I keep it in plastic but it still turns black in a few weeks. I bought it on the net for $4 USD.

Next to the tray is a cloth bag of mixed silver coins from Australia, I think. I don’t know the silver content of them, possibly 50%. A couple Reales here, Did you know that the U.S. Dollar sign ( $ ) was designed after the left-hand banner and pillar depicted on the back of the Spanish Reale? You already knew that !!

Hey, there’s my new NW African meteorite by the piece-of-eight! It’s small but heavy, 10.49 grams. I should have put it next to a coin so you could see its size! ;) How did those gold chains get in there? Believe it or not, I have sold some 14K gold jewelry before and used the funds to purchase old silver dollars. More potential for increased value. It worked! In 2004 I was buying silver dollars for $3 - $5 each. Now they are worth, uh, hey! My Kitco live quote is gone from my taskbar! I hear the metal brokers are having a terrible time lately!

Those pearls were a gift for my wife. They were only temporarily strung loose on monofilament. They needed to be restrung and knotted on real cord. She gave them back to me. I don’t think she liked them. The are not Grade A, but I thought they looked nice. I can’t knot the cord myself; I don’t have the use of my right hand. So I will probably use them mixed in with beads on my jewelry gift projects.

The bronze strike is old, old, old. I won it in a bidding war on the old Ebay. The silver crucifix was given to me by a fellow junk dealer at a outdoor trading and swap meet. The postcard is something else I collect. I am always in the market for postcards from Mount Clemens, Michigan. My Mount Clemens postcard collection is awesome!

Before I forget, to clean up silver, line a bowl with a couple layers of aluminum foil. Poke pinholes through the foil. Add very hot water and stir in everyday table salt. Try to sink the foil to the bottom of the water. Keep stirring it in until the hot water is saturated with salt. Place the silver jewelry into the bowl, completely submerged. It is important to make sure the silver is completely in contact with the aluminum foil. Turn the silver items over a couple times. Leave the items in the solution until they are brightly but not over 10-30 minutes.

Rinse the items thoroughly until clean. Most if not all the tarnish will be gone. Any dirt will have to be washed off the usual, old-fashioned way, with dish detergent and water with a soft brush. I don’t recommend using toothpaste on silver items. Also, don’t use the aluminum and saltwater electrolytic solution on gemstones or coins.

The foil and salt method is rumored to have the potential to erode the metal if exposed for long periods of time. This is one of many reasons coin collectors refrain from cleaning coins. Also, gemstones are tricky and cleaning and maintenance on them should probably be left to a knowledgeable jeweler.

Do you have any tips for me?

Some of my treasured were purchased, some found, some were traded for other items and some have been in the family for generations. I just showed you a couple chattels to reveal a little where I am coming from and what I am all about. Thanks for looking at my junk and gazing at my stuff.

Any questions, comments, kudos, tips, helpful hints, complements, criticism, jeers or insults are always welcome and actually encouraged! I am very thick skinned and it is nearly impossible to offend me and I never hold a grudge. Partly because I am very amicable, partly because I couldn’t care less! Give me a shout-out! I’d love to hear from all y’all! Until then, keep hunting that treasure!

~Rudy

<<non edited>>

Attachments

• SilverShotPic.jpg
    SilverShotPic.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 532

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
~Rudy
This has to be the longest post in TN"S history.
So why only one photo?
TN Joe

OP
OP
silverthorn

silverthorn

Mar 19, 2008
Livin' in my Checker Marathon down by the river...
Detector(s) used
Old willow divining rod... No more wire hangers !!
Tennessee-Joe: I have many more silver items but most are in safe storage. I will be getting them out and sorting them soon. I plan to take photographs of my most interesting items with my Olympus OM-10 and my little digital camera. Stay tuned. ~ Silverthorn

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Nice collection Silverthorn..
Can't wait to see more pics!

The armadillo is great. LoL

rmptr

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
That's a good collection. I'd like to see a right-side-up view of the one next to the Statue of Liberty, if you can
get around to it.

Ray

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection Silverthorn, I like the 'painted Armadillo' too.

Fossis..........................

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'll be. You're certainly a perky one, Silverthorn. Your post is long but it has a lot of things goin on in it and I like the pics. Post some more pics. Also, I'll be the one that cowboys up and asks, 'What is the significance of Mount Clements, Michigan?'. Later hoss, you're alright.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread