sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was around 11:45 pm and I had a few beers in my belly when I decided to get caught up reading the latest Tnet posts. I noticed that pl8man had a recent post showing us his latest rings. I'm always impressed how he constantly finds rings and jewelry in his schoolyard hunts.

A few months ago I moved and I now live a couple of blocks from a high school. It has a little bit of age to it so I figured there are some goodies to be found there. Despite it being nearly midnight, I was motivated my pl8man's post. I tossed back one more beer, threw my E-trac over my shoulder and walked to the school with the sole goal of finding gold.

I stayed around the border of the ball field and was concentrating on the low tones. My pouch quickly began to fill up...of course it primarily consisted of foil, pull tabs, pencil erasers, Ace bandage fasteners and other junk.

Well two hours later it was getting cold and my beer was wearing off so I was getting ready to pack it up. I figured that I would give it another ten minutes and finish up by walking down the middle of the soccer field when I got a screaming 05-47. I thought finally, a silver ring! Nope, just three stacked clad quarters.

I continued my stroll to the gate as my swing speed was rapidly increasing. I nearly walked over it as I hit a 12-46 that showed at a decent depth. I figured that I may as well dig one more quarter before I finished since it was evident that I was going to be shut out on my quest for gold.

I cut my plug and at about five inches I pulled out some dirt and saw the rim of a coin. I realized that it a bit bigger than I had expected...and a bit shinier. I wiped away the dirt and felt somewhat redeemed as I saw a 1950 Franklin half. It's not gold or jewelry, but I'll take it.

I ended up going home, drinking a much needed glass of water and going to bed. Perhaps tomorrow I'll dust off the Whites MXT and try again for that elusive yellow metal.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479078719.628328.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479078735.315170.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story - Congrats! :occasion14:

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a great hunt to me as well. Maybe i should try having a few beers before my hunts:occasion14:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet hunt!! It may not have been gold but, it was far from being a clad quarter. Awesome find!!

btw- I've got 4 golds vs. 2 sliver halves.

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet hunt!! It may not have been gold but, it was far from being a clad quarter. Awesome find!!

btw- I've got 4 golds vs. 2 sliver halves.

Thank you. I've found a number of halves but that was actually my first Franklin.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I've found a number of halves but that was actually my first Franklin.

My first was a Franklin then a Barber, still looking for my first Walker.

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first was a Franklin then a Barber, still looking for my first Walker.

And I'd trade finding three of my Walkers to find a Barber half, which I have yet to find. It funny how this hobby works and what we find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread