A question about an old machine a friend picked up- Garrett Freedom 2 (plus?)

B

Bev

Cant remember if it's the plus machine or not but it's the Garrett Freedom 2 for sure. This is his first machine and picked it up for $40.00.
I went out with him yesterday to help him with the basics and found that the machine was very hard to hear over a target. Even throwing a quarter down it registered barely above nothing- just enough to know something was there. I was expecting a nice solid tone like the Ace but it seemed difficult and even more so zero-ing in. Because we never heard one of these machines we didnt know if this is it or something is wrong. We found a few pennies but it seemed like a lot of work.

We read the manual and looked on youtube hoping to see someone using one but nada.

Can anyone give us some insight?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a garrett .....Freedom 2 Coin Comander.... Back in the 80's and early 90's I still say i found more with that detector than i have found with all these new detecors and all there bells & whistles................ Mine always made a nice clear loud sound ......Now Garrett will still repair the Freedom 2 ............... But if you need a coil for it the only place to get a coil is from Keith at .. www.brokendetector.com ..

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Does it give a loud signal if you use headphones? It could be just a problem with the external speaker. The Freedom series (especially the 2&3) were good detectors.

OP
OP
B

Bev

I've emailed him and asked him to test that theory out. I'm pretty sure something is wrong and the external speaker may be the issue. I'll keep you updated- Thank you so much!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions