Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the matrix, Shaman. If it is a granite like pegmatite, it could be chock full of other goodies. If it's basalt, or something else igneous (other than peg granite, I mean), you could get citrine, clear or amethyst combos. The smoke is from radiation at the time of formation, if the radioactivity is combined with heat, you can get the citrine/amethyst combos. If there was no heat, they will tend to clear as you get to the outside edges of the gemfield.

At least, that's been my experience. There's a place on the california side of the Ca/NV border that I dig that is a solid quartz batholith that has been upthrust. Lots of clears, but also greens (mostly stained from a chlorite clay) and smoky ones on different parts of the hill.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I can only say, "keep digging"! Smoky and any Quartz for that matter is an indication of other goodies in the vicinity. I seldom come across a Quartz-rich area that isn't rich with a variety of other minerals.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where ever quartz crystals are being found there's a good chance to find other crystalline materials :) As LJ said it depends on the matrix, the host rocks, where the crystals formed. Quartz is associated with hydrothermal events where a great variety of crystals can form depending on what minerals were present in the solution as well as a lot of other factors. Quartz found in granitiods can often be found with feldspars like amazonite *I've dug that in Colorado to*, beryl's, garnet and a whole host of other stones. Quartz found in limonites is often found with calcium minerals like calcite, dolomite, and a variety of chalcedony~ agates. Quartz found in igneous formations can be associated with chalcedonies, sulfides, chlorides and metals.
Depends on what the host rock is ;)
Smoky quartz is most often associated with granitoids due to their inherent radioactivity~ this is what "burns" the clear crystal and gives it the dark coloration.
What LJ pointed out as well applies~ time of formation and other materials present at formation.

Best bet is to get familiar with the types of host rock in your area and chip away. There is already garnet about *as some of your species show* to chances are good there are other goodies like tourmaline around as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, There is tourmaline over the hill from us. About 3 miles, also beryl about 4 miles. So it's in the area. We are in the USGS Fork Mountain formation which apparently has a lot of stuff. Tried to upload the report but got no cooperation from computer. LOL We've already found, garnet, pink quartz, rose quartz, blue quartz, corundum (according to eldest son who took geology in college) smoky quartz all on our little 5 acres. Also, appears may be pegmatite down the hill. My son says that's what it looks like anyway. Seems to be a bluish gray granite and feldspar mix.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another thing to consider is that quartz is one of the most common minerals. It doesn't have to indicate anything, but if you find crystals, then its a good sign. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread