A question about testing 18k on a piece of chain????????

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I actually made it out today in spite of the abscessed tooth, found the usual clad and junk but also found bits and pieces of a small chain. the chain looked junk to me and I later found china on the only end piece I found and so I wrote it off as junk. Later, when acid testing a small piece that my wife had found to see if it was silver or not, I took a piece of the chain and tested it for 10k, then 14k, then 18k, then it failed at 22k. I am thinking that maybe it is just plated and so I did some electrolysis on it, twice, cleaning it and turning it more of a white/silver color and tested it again with the same results. the chain is soft but I was thinking that 18k should be more yellow. I left the acid on the scrapings for about fifteen minutes and the metal stayed there like it should with 18k gold. is this possible? I also feel that for the small amount of chain, it is too light to be gold but what do I know. as small as it is, it nearly had to have been from a necklace. any ideas?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small 10k rose gold earring that tricked my RS Mizar electronic gold tester? I was sure it was gold though. I finally went a local jeweler. That's my advice. Small or not, gold is gold. Good luck
Peace

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this I, know, but figured the purer the gold say 18 to 22 k, that it would be more yellow colored than white. I guess i am ignorant of white gold in general especially in the higher k.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
like I said before, I have a lot to learn about a lot of things (hopefully I won't forget it as fast as I learn it! LOL)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread