a question for those smarter than me (almost everyone)

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
Just had lunch with a fellow MDer, was telling me how his hearing is getting to the point where it is really making it difficult. I can barely spell electronics but was wondering why sounds couldn't be replaced with lights. Different colors for different tones. Just wondering...... I know I have tried using my hearing aid with the Sand shark and a fisher and that just does not work.

Upvote 0

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
im one of the dumber ones.the beach hunter has pretty lights. the aquasound a deaf person could hear it

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask that question on Geotech forum, i think one of them might know.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the hunters at the Daytona hunts had a light in his detector because of his hearing impairment and he does well. The Aquasound has head phones that you sometimes have to put cotton in your ears to dampen the sound and the Gold Master Headphones are also a good choice. I have a set.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think I've heard of vibrations in place of sound ... a la Vibraprobe. Might be interesting to investigate that, maybe?

HH Joe

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Headphones on steriods

Attachments

• DSC_8812.jpg
    DSC_8812.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 571
  • SNAG-0009.jpg
    SNAG-0009.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 574
  • DSC_8812.jpg
    DSC_8812.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 557
  • SNAG-0009.jpg
    SNAG-0009.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 566

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
captaindoug said:
Just had lunch with a fellow MDer, was telling me how his hearing is getting to the point where it is really making it difficult. I can barely spell electronics but was wondering why sounds couldn't be replaced with lights. Different colors for different tones. Just wondering...... I know I have tried using my hearing aid with the Sand shark and a fisher and that just does not work.

Here you go! http://www.treasureproducts.com/vibraphone.html

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think lights are limited to only 3 or 4 do the voltage requirements. LED's would get you better amount on info. but while I already said voltage lets just stop there! Meter's are a measurement of voltage and hence that's why were able to produce a number for each type targets. So lights while they can be used like they currently are. A meter would be a better choice for hearing impaired. IMHO steve

Alienson

Nov 15, 2011
Austin, Texas, area
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've encountered the same problem getting into detecting with my ACE 350. High tones, the bell sound, I can't hear in one ear so I wore the aids last Saturday to see if they would help. It was a disappointment, they didn't seemed to help and almost always had some undertones (that I eventually learned to ignore). However, the unit, while it doesn't have a digital readout does have the segments that are just as good if not better than the tones for pinpointing the object once you are swinging over it. So I'll be retraining myself to watch the segment readouts once I strike something rather than doing the easy thing of relying on solely on the tones.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bone conduction head phones maybe? The old White's PI used a bone clicker. Or as suggested, a vibrating motor could easily be rigged. They are readily available at Radio Shack or even from an old cell phone.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
Until I lost it I used a small Koss Equalizer similar to this one on Amazon: Koss EQ50 3-Band Stereo Equalizer
about $20, you can adjust the volume of the tones.

R

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I designed a little plug in device for the headphone jack that would light up when a target was detected. Problem was every detector did not put out the same voltage. Also my EXP II gave me a lot of information on its screen so without it all you get is a yes there is some kind of metal in the ground. Gave up and turn to wireless HP's. That did blow my mind, FM , Bluetooth, you name it. You also have to power the transmitter and the Phones.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread