A question on where Minelabs are made?

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have read where Minelabs are made in the U.S...Australia..and Ireland...I am right in that: and if so would there Headquarters here in the U.S. have information on machines that are made in Ireland..like with serial numbers??
Corporate Headquarters is in Ireland , the majority are now made in Malaysia.

They can not tell you where they were made and many times serial numbers can't tell even when they were made....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought corporate offices were in Australia..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought corporate offices were in Australia..

was originally Australia.

I always thought Alien Technology was also involved
(that or time travelers from our distant future)

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected, I thought when they were bought by Codan they moved Corporate to Ireland...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I am asking about serial numbers Is I have a local guy selling an explorer se pro..i had him call minelab U.S with that number and they told him they don't know anything about that number...he said it was made in Ireland..???? Counterfeit???

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It actually says on the original box where it was made, on the label with the UPC that's stuck on the end.
My 705 was made in Australia, and my Explorer SE was made in Ireland.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up that Explorer se last night,it was made in Ireland.. took it out this morning and with that butterfly coil, its an S.E.F. 12" x 10" man its hard to pin point with it.....looking thou the manual there are a lot of cool things you can do with the Explorer....if I am just coin and jewelry hunting is that coil any better than just the stock coil would be..

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's an SE then yes, but if it's an SE Pro then no.
Regardless, you'll want a smaller coil for it soon.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try an X-8 or I've seen people sell their stock Etrac 11" coils. Which I would never do. The X-8 is a great all arounder for coins.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P1030519.JPG P1030520.JPG It is an SE Pro Longhair......here are two pictures of the backs , one is the SE Pro and the other is the x-terra 705.....do they look right as far as labels...the SE Pro is about 4 years old and I was told made in Ireland and the 705 is new and was made in Australia.....

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look great! And they are a fantastic pair too!

Now just score a CZ21 and you'll be set for anywhere...land or sea.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab USA says they don't know anything about the serial # on the SE Pro......

TwistedTig3r

Apr 8, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000 Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 10x12 coil on my Explorer SE Pro now and really like it. I just didn't gel with the Pro coil. When pinpointing I prefer to use the "wiggle" method. Often time when using pinpoint button it feels like any near by object "pulls" the signal. I also find it's easier to keep my eye on the spot when using the toe of the coil. I would also recommend getting an X-8 coil. I found it made learning the Explorer much easier.

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a SE PRO i bought a little over 2 years ago off of a dealer,the box of it says that it was made in ireland and i sent the minelab company my serial number on the se pro and they told me when it was sold. it is 4 years old

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Longhair was right about the minelab serial numbers...they don't keep track of your metal detector after its out of warranty..they will give you a guess as too when it was made but have no idea of where it was made....The guy that I got my explorer se pro said that it was on the box when he bought it, that it was made in Ireland...I guess, and I am not sure why, but he said they have a little more quality made into them ?

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Longhair was right about the minelab serial numbers...they don't keep track of your metal detector after its out of warranty..they will give you a guess as too when it was made but have no idea of where it was made....The guy that I got my explorer se pro said that it was on the box when he bought it, that it was made in Ireland...I guess, and I am not sure why, but he said they have a little more quality made into them ?

I don't buy the higher quality in Ireland stuff at all. Ive had both units from Ireland and Malaysia and you cant tell the difference. Ive got a Malaysian etrac right now and had and Ireland one before and the same goes for explorers, have had them both. They are all good. If anything, the Ireland ones are always the older of the two.
On your 10X12 question, that's a great coil that actually should be easy to pinpoint with. Its got a tight detection center, tighter than any of the stock explorer coils or the ones that come on the etrac and explorer SE Pro. I primarily use the 10X12 SEF and X8 on my Etrac so those are my two favorites.
You got yourself a sweet detector there. My suggestion is forget patterns, set your iron mask up to just enough to knock out a paperclip or thereabouts, just a few bars out of all metal, then run in manual sens with sens as high as you can get it to go without to much falsing. Youll get some extreme depth like this and also very accurate ID. Good hunting:occasion14:

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I hope so..had it out yesterday and it seams the more I use it the better I am getting at the pin pointing with that coil...but I don't think it works to well in trashy areas...that's why I am getting that X-8...

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't buy the higher quality in Ireland stuff at all. Ive had both units from Ireland and Malaysia and you cant tell the difference.

Agreed! My personal E-Trac is an Ireland model. No difference in the new one I ran a few days back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread