A question that makes me go hmmmm?

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave, I would have to agree there, at least I haven't seen any documentation either. Waltz, no. Wagonner, or whoever he was, who knows. Both were called "The Dutchman" locally and those stories then got all jumbled together depending on who was repeating them. Today, we have 2 separate stories in Wagonner's Lost Ledge and The Lost Dutchman's Mine. But there was a time when I thought they were the same thing based on what I had heard. I was wrong of course.

jim....my neighbor had a mining partner back in the 60's ..his last name was waggoner...he claimed to be a descendant of the waggoner that had the mine in the supers

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
jim....my neighbor had a mining partner back in the 60's ..his last name was waggoner...he claimed to be a descendant of the waggoner that had the mine in the supers

Whoa!! What??? Dave are you pulling my leg? I've never found a Waggoner in the Pinal Co. records! The only Wagoner I've ever found was the guy that bought part of Waltz's old quarter section on section 16. I even wondered if that's how a "Waggoner" got mixed into the dutchman story...it's not that far of a stretch since he lived on Waltz's land like 20 years after Waltz died. But there I go talking about section 16 again, I think I better put myself into the penalty box and take a "time-out" for stupidity!

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Whoa!! What??? Dave are you pulling my leg? I've never found a Waggoner in the Pinal Co. records! The only Wagoner I've ever found was the guy that bought part of Waltz's old quarter section on section 16. I even wondered if that's how a "Waggoner" got mixed into the dutchman story...it's not that far of a stretch since he lived on Waltz's land like 20 years after Waltz died. But there I go talking about section 16 again, I think I better put myself into the penalty box and take a "time-out" for stupidity!

jim..i'm serious as a stroke.....my neighbor had claims with the guy in the supers ...i think by miners needle..i looked them up years ago...his partner went by wags to his friends...the main problem with looking up waggoner is there is quite a few ways to spell it

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

jim..i was looking through some of my books...i have one titled treasure tales across the counter by merry wagoner...printed 1965...its a collection of treasure stories that was told in the bluebird store...all the tales are about the goldfield area....her husband went by the name of wags...i wonder if that was my neighbors mining partner?

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
jim..i was looking through some of my books...i have one titled treasure tales across the counter by merry wagoner...printed 1965...its a collection of treasure stories that was told in the bluebird store...all the tales are about the goldfield area....her husband went by the name of wags...i wonder if that was my neighbors mining partner?

Probably so... I know a guy from AJ named "Wagner", but I know his family didn't move out there until the '70s. Too bad there's no way to "pry" all those old stories from the Bluebird's walls...sounds like you have the next best thing...but I bet you've heard every version of those stories anyway!:happysmiley:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Probably so... I know a guy from AJ named "Wagner", but I know his family didn't move out there until the '70s. Too bad there's no way to "pry" all those old stories from the Bluebird's walls...sounds like you have the next best thing...but I bet you've heard every version of those stories anyway!:happysmiley:

yes i guess i have...lol..i still go out to the bluebird and talk to louie...i do miss seeing old john wilburn around there though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread