A question: Which would you go after first?

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many great responses to my question. I was a coin collector before I became a treasure hunter. Nobody answer my question correctly. Let us said you found 100 silver dollars, many grades and dates, the coins may be worth differ prices. Now what?

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
I go after what I KNOW to be true, if some parts of the cache or clues to more have been confirmed thats is factual evidence of the cache's existience so I'd go with the obvious rather than chase a will of the wisp.

TFCK

K

Kentucky Kache

maipenrai said:
Split is 50/50, but partner brought wife along, so she gets a share too? Why dont you bring your wife and even kids along and so you will get the greatest share. Is she a detectorist and worth her percentage or is it just a way for your partner to get a larger cut?
Please keep us posted!

I was thinking the same thing. More than one can play the wife thing.

Connecticut Danny said:
Many great responses to my question. I was a coin collector before I became a treasure hunter. Nobody answer my question correctly. Let us said you found 100 silver dollars, many grades and dates, the coins may be worth differ prices. Now what?

Your question was answered as correctly as it could have been answered on a forum. Sell the entire cache and split the money. Or, when you know the approximate worth of each coin, then you can split accordingly. Your question was answered.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Danny, rather than spending a long time researching each coin, the easiest way to divide a coin cach is for the treasure hunter to divide the coins, equal number, into two "bags" and have the land owner choose what bag he wants without looking in it. This "blind split" Is fast, easy and beyond reproach. Frank

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Frank

I do not like that idea of 50 - 50 share when nobody know the worth of the coins. Try to sell your coins in a coin auction. Most coin dealers are crooks.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect that coin dealers are just like the rest of us, they need to turn a profit, they dont provide a social service. They have to use their years of experience to determine the price, and of course, they want a good profit, not a loss, so its a bit of guess work.

I deal with a lot of auction stuff, and its always the same story, the owner thinks his goodies are worth a million, and in the end, the final bidder determines the going price, which is a hell of a lot under the owners estimate. (this also includes me, but I have learnt to accept the losses also.)

There is no set price on the stuff we find, so the end, the buyer determines the price, or you just hold on to it, until you get what you want, which may take forever.

Probably e-bay would give you a better price than a dealer, but how long will it take? Time is also important, if you are thinking business wise.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Danny, When I find a cach and it has to be split with a land owner I don't want to wast a lot of time running around checking with dealers and auctions to find the value of each coin. I want to split and ride off into the sunset. The less publicity I get , the better off I am. Do you think some land owner is going to stand around while I run around checking the value of each coil? Not likely ! And there is a lot of time waisted that could be better spent researching the next hunt.
You have to be realistic about things. 50/50, cut and run is the best way. Frank

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I agree with Frankn on this. It also is the only way to go in Oregon. Land owner entitled to and should receive 50% of anything found on his land. Finder gets the other 50%.

If multiple finders, anyone present when the cache is found is entitled to a portion of what is found. This is called "treasure trove" law. It seems reasonable to me.

Coin values usually cannot be determined on site. The faster they are removed and secured, the better.

Have just ended another (successful?) cache hunt. Found all of the markers for the cache, but determined the cache likely has already been recovered. Land owner didn't know, but signs indicated it was hoot-owled 5-10 years ago at least. Partner still on site to check where some coins were recovered prior to metal detectors becoming available.

Thanks for everyone's input on this!

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish the best of luck to all of you. Before you sell your coins, buy the blue book and red book. Most coin dealers are crooks.

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
So you find a cache, you show the land owner the coins and you say, "You pick first." He picks one coin, you pick one coin. Lather ,rinse, repeat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions