A quick hunt - nothing great but learning

Benbuck6

Jan 11, 2008
GREENVILLE, MS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 350 GTA
While waiting for my 8th grader to get out of basketball I hit an old place in the country called the Depot that the sign says was built in 1884. Only 30inute hunt. It's been everything from a grocery store to diner in my lifetime - I have no idea what it was before then. Found 76 cents in clad (place has been closed for years) all 70's and up. Looks like copper tubing. 2 old nails, broom base, piece of tin maybe, and In one hole a piece of glass a knob that has "F" on it and large piece of iron. Want to go back and dig more of the low tones. Thinking maybe the knob was part of the piece of iron...the plastic is thick older type plastic.

Last edited:
Upvote 9
OP
OP
Benbuck6

Benbuck6

Jan 11, 2008
GREENVILLE, MS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 350 GTA
image.jpg image.jpg

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Everybodys got to start somewhere. Best of luck in your future hunts and thanks for sharing.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now get yourself a couple 5 gallon buckets to put your copper and brass in, the extra cash you get is nice.A side benefit to detecting.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good start! I save all the scrap brass, copper, aluminum, and lead, it really will mount up into a nice stash before you know it, and the coins will start showing up better as you put in more dirt time.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep, it all adds up, including the experience. it gets better if you keep at it

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice array of finds! The site should hold some nice goodies! GL. HH!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it go's back to 1884 you can bet their will be silver, IH'S maybe some LC'S keep trying give it a chance....:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Benbuck6

Benbuck6

Jan 11, 2008
GREENVILLE, MS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 350 GTA
This is a pic I just found from the MS River Flood of 1927 - its the same place. The front is facing a hwy...the back (where I detected because it was grass) I got a lot of signals. I dug one and deep down there was a HuGE threaded bolt and a base plate...I could not dig it up in the time I had or don't even know if I can. I don't know if it was a train depot or that was just the name but something big was back there avon depot research.jpg

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the kind of place that you need to remove all of the top signals to get to the good stuff. I know a guy that hunted a spot for years on and off. He barely found anything good the first couple of years but after that he found old coins and buttons almost every time out. Most people give up long before this point but if you tough it out you will be rewarded

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good day of hunting! Anytime I can detect is a good time.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your finds remind me of my first hunts. Once you find and remove the trash, other goodies will become audible.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job Ben, I would concentrate under and around the oldest trees closest to the depot. Weary travelers waiting for the next train/stage/wagon would plop down for a rest in the shade. With plopping, comes dropping...(should I trademark that?) Have fun, you have a great machine. Sub 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread