Civil War Era Advertisement Token

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I found this piece on 1-4-15, I only discovered what it is today. (kinda like today's find) After soaking in Mineral Spirits for 2 days, and then 2 - 20 minute peroxide baths to no avail, I got out the lime away. I soaked it about an hour and then started scrubbing it with plastic/abrasive scotch bright type pads. Scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed some more. I was worried I might ruin what ever it was, but the before pictures shows an already ruined what ever it is. How bad could I hurt it at this point? I guess my curiosity would not allow me to put it in a coin slip as "unknown". I have found 2 actual civil war store cards, the size of small pennies, but this thing is the same size as a LC, although it's not considered a store card. It is a piece of our history from Dayton Ohio.

Thanks for looking, Bill

Attachments

• photo (86).JPG
    photo (86).JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 108
  • photo (87).JPG
    photo (87).JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 104
  • photo (97).JPG
    photo (97).JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 127
  • photo (98).JPG
    photo (98).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 113
  • RickeysCivilWarToken.PNG
    RickeysCivilWarToken.PNG
    115.1 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 10

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, you should try the hot peroxide method first before the harsher methods in my opinion. But I'm sure there will be plenty of people on here he will freak out over your cleaning methods. In the end it is yours to do with as you wish and I must say I don't hate the way it looks. Congratulations I'm still trying to find one of those.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find thanks for sharing and congrats on the success.

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, you should try the hot peroxide method first before the harsher methods in my opinion. But I'm sure there will be plenty of people on here he will freak out over your cleaning methods. In the end it is yours to do with as you wish and I must say I don't hate the way it looks. Congratulations I'm still trying to find one of those.

I did a peroxide bath, twice I boiled it for about 20 minutes and then brushed it with a toothbrush, didn't phase it. Within 10-20 seconds after taking it out of the boiling peroxide it was cool enough to hold between my fingers. There were no debris or black flakes boiled off in the pan. It was like the thick layer of black crusty goo acted as an insulator. In the found condition it was in, it was already toasted.

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
You have a very nice Civil War Token. I generally metal detect on my own early 1800's property. These are extremely hard to find in my area. Congratulations and good luck treasure hunting in the future!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to stick with it bro until you got an id! I despise not knowing what something is

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice recovery. Congrats. GL&HH.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome token, you got ur done on the clean up. sometimes it is what it is and it ain't what it ain't, just the way it is sometimes so you did what you had to and it looks better to me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread