A Quick Lesson on Southern Linguistics

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am more of a Coona** than a Cajun, but even though I don't have much of an accent, I love all the old sayings I heard growing up:

1. "Well, *hit and fall back in it!" Indicates surprise. Like when you are taking a dump in the woods, then you lose your balance and fall back in it!

2. When you are describing food that is VERY good you might say "That food was so good, if I put a plate of it on top of my head, my tongue would beat my brains out trying to get to it!"

I have a million of'em.

Mike

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am more of a Coona** than a Cajun, but even though I don't have much of an accent, I love all the old sayings I heard growing up:

1. "Well, *hit and fall back in it!" Indicates surprise. Like when you are taking a dump in the woods, then you lose your balance and fall back in it!

2. When you are describing food that is VERY good you might say "That food was so good, if I put a plate of it on top of my head, my tongue would beat my brains out trying to get to it!"

I have a million of'em.

Mike

Ah, bet you know some "Verduns" ... can't throw a dead cat back home without hitting one of us.

Arkansas for #2: Larapin. "That pe-can pie was larapin!"

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Drinking a R C Cola and eating a Moon Pie reading all this Southern.
Can't post some of the good ones...

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it's just juggling letters between accents. I might be talking to a Bostonian who tells me "I had to take my caa to the shop." My response would be "Didja get the arl changed?" The "r" would have been lost had I not recycled it. So we are just keeping the consonants in equilibrium. Fight fi-yah with faar, I say.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The oldest book I'd read recently (apart from the Bible) was The Last of the Mohicans. I found Chingatchgook and his son to be the easiest to understand of the whole bunch! Of course they didn't say much. In my area of North Texas, most people are of German, Slavic, Scots, or Irish descent with a lot of Indian blended in. Grandmothers are called everything from Mimi to Nana to Maw Maw. The trunk of your car is the turtle.

What bothers me though is how the acronym-speak of texting is filtering into conversation. People are starting to say Oh Em Gee! and Bee Eff Eff and all that nonsense. Imagine how it will be in 50 years, English will be so debased it will be nearly unrecognizable.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The oldest book I'd read recently (apart from the Bible) was The Last of the Mohicans. I found Chingatchgook and his son to be the easiest to understand of the whole bunch! Of course they didn't say much. In my area of North Texas, most people are of German, Slavic, Scots, or Irish descent with a lot of Indian blended in. Grandmothers are called everything from Mimi to Nana to Maw Maw. The trunk of your car is the turtle.

What bothers me though is how the acronym-speak of texting is filtering into conversation. People are starting to say Oh Em Gee! and Bee Eff Eff and all that nonsense. Imagine how it will be in 50 years, English will be so debased it will be nearly unrecognizable.
HA! In 50 years... it will ALL be MENTAL TELEPATHY!

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, had my tinfoil hat on yesterday. What is this Java Zone of which you speak?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the words of the immortal Treebeard in Lord of the Rings (The Two Towers):

You must understand, young Hobbit, it takes a long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Just substitute "Southern" for "Entish". You see, we in the South think about what we are about to say, so it just seems like we are slow. Unlike our Northern Bretheren who just blurt out whatever pops into their heads.

Like the old saying: "Keep quiet and let them think you are st*pid, or open your mouth and let them know it!"

Mike

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes words used a certain way seem to just pop up and catch me by surprise; then I see and hear that same usage everywhere. Specifically, "minute" For example "I've been doing this for a minute." "He lived there for a minute." I scratched my head for a minute the first time I heard that ( for a literal, 60 second minute). Now I see/hear it everywhere. I guess I'm tragically un-hip? Or did my tinfoil hat block the hipster download from the universal consciousness?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Sometimes words used a certain way seem to just pop up and catch me by surprise; then I see and hear that same usage everywhere. Specifically, "minute" For example "I've been doing this for a minute." "He lived there for a minute." I scratched my head for a minute the first time I heard that ( for a literal, 60 second minute). Now I see/hear it everywhere. I guess I'm tragically un-hip? Or did my tinfoil hat block the hipster download from the universal consciousness?
Tinfoil Hat MAY be defective... made in China. Take it back to Walmart...

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figured it out- the tinfoil hat uses StraightTelepathy (TM). I ran out of time. Just need to buy another card. Recharging these is a pain. I have to put on the hat and slam my head into a solid, conductive surface until I have entered the pin number in machine code. It's a headache. On the bright side, the messages from Lemuria are much easier to decipher afterward.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figured it out- the tinfoil hat uses StraightTelepathy (TM). I ran out of time. Just need to buy another card. Recharging these is a pain. I have to put on the hat and slam my head into a solid, conductive surface until I have entered the pin number in machine code. It's a headache. On the bright side, the messages from Lemuria are much easier to decipher afterward.

Huh???? You don't have to do all that! All you have to do is screw the end in a light socket.:BangHead: It will charge you instantly! No need for expensive cards, high tech hardware, or programing! You will be able to see and read stars with this method! You will also learn and use many forms of languages:censored:!Another outstanding benefit is the quickening of your reflexes and reaction times:icon_shaking2:! If that doesn't work fast enough? The microwave will do it quicker yet, Just bypass the door switch and start it up, standing about 6 to 8 inches away! I don't recommend this method though, only in extreme situations. The magnetron seems to over do it if your not careful.:tard:

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Huh???? You don't have to do all that! All you have to do is screw the end in a light socket.:BangHead: It will charge you instantly! No need for expensive cards, high tech hardware, or programing! You will be able to see and read stars with this method! You will also learn and use many forms of languages:censored:!Another outstanding benefit is the quickening of your reflexes and reaction times:icon_shaking2:! If that doesn't work fast enough? The microwave will do it quicker yet, Just bypass the door switch and start it up, standing about 6 to 8 inches away! I don't recommend this method though, only in extreme situations. The magnetron seems to over do it if your not careful.:tard:
Does he know Chinese...?

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been in Idaho since March, 2007; from Texas. I still have a lot of people ask me what part of the south I'm from. I called a lady at a business one day last week. As soon as I had asked her a question about a dishwasher that was for sale at her store, she asked me what part of Texas I was from! I asked her how she knew I was from Texas. She said she had heard too many Texans here in Idaho, to not know a Texan accent. Well, I didn't know I had an accent!

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way back in 1995 I had just rented an apartment in Arlington (Texas). I went to Wal-Mart to get a couple of throw rugs. Specifically, the woven horse blanket type that we always had when I was a kid. There was a moderately attractive blonde lady in the department and I politely asked her if they had any hoss blanket kinda rugs. She blinked at me, bewildered. So I repeated myself slowly. She then said, in a thick New York accent. "My God, yer accent is terrible." It was my turn to blink. So I asked her "You are aware that you're in Texas, right?" She replied "Ya, but nobody around here sounds as bad as you do." So I clued her in that I wasn't originally from the city.

They had no hoss blanket kinda rugs, unfortunately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread