Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless it is dirt cheap I would look for something newer. If you can't afford any more then go for it.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fairly certain that you would not be able to get Garrett to repair it but thats the most complete kit I've seen in ages. They were Garretts "all purpose" detector of the time with discrimination, full Faraday shielding and a zero drift circuit. I had a big row with one of the U.S.'s leading detectorists (his words) the other year over the combination of different coil sizes in one coil. He said it was an innovation of Whites (the Dual Field) and that no detector had ever had two coils combined that can be used one at a time to suit a site and help determine the size and depth of a target. Also that all BFO's had no depth, drifted and definately had no discrimination.

As you will see with the detector your considering there's various options such as 3.5" (nuggetts/pinpointing) combined with 6.5" (for coins/relics), or 5" (coins, pinpointing) combined with 12" for deepseeking.

Unfortunately the arise of VLF/TR way before modern S.P.D. designs, killed off sales. I love this type of obsolete detector but for once I doubt if you can find a use for it that won't be better handled by a more modern machine. On the other hand the number of collectors for older designs, especially if working and in good order, is starting to grow and some will pay good money. Price back in 1977 was $300 with two coils, small single coils were a fraction under $40 and the waterproof 12" ones with fifty foot extension cable came in at the $100 mark.

If it was dirt cheap I would buy it but you couldn't and wouldn't really want to have it as an everyday machine.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the opportunity to pick up a Garrett Master Hunter BFO with a 2in., 5in., 8in., 12in. Round coils and a 24x24in., 12x24in. rectangular coils. I know it's an older machine(1975) but it's as new and priced right.

Opinions???

Jim

I wouldn't! I Brand new Tesoro Compadre ($170.00) will out perform it!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
UK Brian gives a good analysis. That BFO is a dinasour. Good for its day, perhaps, but the "toys" of today will out perform it now. Arguably even all-metal TRs were outperforming BFO's for certain tasks, even then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread