Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

Happy July 4th to all you American brothers and sisters. I happened to be in London for July 1st, Canada Day, pretty similar, for some BBQ and fireworks. It was...messed up hot, broke a lot of records. With the humidity, for two days it was around 44 degrees Celsius, I think the one day we hit 45, so that's 113 degrees Fahrenheit! Of course we tried to stay cool, but the pool got up to 96! Their pool was 10 degrees cooler than their hot tub, absolutely insane. Anyway, I ended up getting a little sunburn, but it could have been worse.

On the very last morning I was there, I bit the bullet. I grabbed a shovel and a bunch of water and set off to the dump. The flies were super bad, and getting bit on your sun-burnt neck is garbage - by the end of the morning I was a monk. I drank about half a gallon of water in an hour of digging and probably lost it all. I was completely soaked, hadn't sweat like that in a long long time. Anyway, I went deep this time, had to deal with about 5 feet of more modern metal debris, but I was happy with the results: I got a spoon for my cutlery bucket, a beautiful milk glass soap/candy dish, a slightly amethyst coaster, a neat shaker of some sort with colourful enameled designs all over it, a blown amber chem, my first whole case gin which happened to be ABM but still super bubbly and it's a neat small size in a nice colour, and then the star of the show, a four-piece mould applied blob beer, surprisingly no damage whatsoever. I think this one would be from the 1880s, maybe Canadian. I've only ever found one other four-piece bottle. I assume one of these mould sections is a blank slug plate in a way, and that I got handed the slick. I don't care though! I happen to like slicks. And this is the oldest bottle I've dug in a while, so it was a refreshing change from all the Milk of Magnesias.

So, a couple goodies from an hour of digging. I believe that there are still some gems in that dump to be had, just gotta earn 'em.

Good luck and happy hunting everyone!

N

DSCF4348.JPG DSCF4383.JPG DSCF4388.JPG DSCF4354.JPG DSCF4404.JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and thanks for the post

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I'm falling in love with the four-piece the more I pick it up, I'm very happy with it. I was getting through a fine crunchy rust layer and hit the sand bottom with what looked like some ash in it, and this just sort of fell out of the side, above where my shovel was anyway. It's a very mixed dump though. My first thought seeing it land there still caked in dirt was "old ABM crown top soda", but then I was instantly like, "BLOB!" - I can count the whole blobs I've dug on one hand. But yeah, when I wiped it off and saw the seams, that's when I was really dancing. I love this one, it's a keeper for me. Here's a pic of the base. And the bail/stopper on top is not original, but it looks good.

DSCF4411.JPG

Last edited:

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. You are the master of having a stopper for every bottle, always impressed.

cje

Apr 7, 2009
clinton ma
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign xs
I'm glad you were able to get out in the heat. It's easy to sit back and say it's to hot to do anything, but you did it and you got decent results too. Love the blob.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I got out too! I could have easily got skunked, but I worked for it and got rewarded, so that always feels nice. I can't wait to go back, that place has some beauties yet to be discovered...

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Didn't know if there was a picture of a four-piece mould out there, so I altered an existing picture of a three-piece mould. I imagine this is what a four-piece would look like. This one is cup-bottomed, but they could be post-bottomed too.

four-piece mould.jpg

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Those all are beautiful pieces, and cleaned up well. Congratulations! Where did you say this dump is?

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Very nice recoveries. Congrats. Jgas.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks No gold! It's very close to London, Ontario. I go there maybe once or twice a year.

jgas, I want to do even better, I've just gotta find those darn privies!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread