HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rare button that you don't see every day

I dug this button when I was 13 or 14 years old. Since then I had not seen another posted or recovered for the next 15 years. Finally last year I saw one surface that was dug in VA. This is listed in Alberts but the rarity quite off. It is a GW Commemorative button (Jacksonian era). I just love buttons like these that sometimes are left out due to more rare or desired miliary buttons. Still today one of my favorite buttons - and I have dug my fair share of buttons over the years!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• GW1.jpg
    GW1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,484
  • pile.jpg
    pile.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,051
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A rare button that you don't see every day

Anything early with Washington on it is a good find. I have seen the Jacksonian button on the left edge of this grouping, but I have never seen yours before. My best Washington item is this cufflink.

Attachments

• Jacksonian buttons.jpg
    Jacksonian buttons.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,904
  • GW3.jpg
    GW3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 985
  • Jacksonian buttons.jpg
    Jacksonian buttons.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,030
  • GW3.jpg
    GW3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 934
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA said:
Anything early with Washington on it is a good find. I have seen the Jacksonian button on the left edge of this grouping, but I have never seen yours before. My best Washington item is this cufflink.

Steve, I can't agree with you more. I have seen that particular jacksonian button as well. Those dished rim 13mm buttons though not common are more common than this one. It is 14 mm two piece on a raise sqaure. I love the jacksonian buttons you posted - been lucky to find a few but would love to find more.

HH

Dan

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy smokes!!!! :o You sure have dug your share. That second picture says it all. :icon_thumleft:
Congrats to you on the rare button and all of your amazing finds.
-MM-

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

I found my first flat button yesterday. Your post inspires me to search for more. Maybe yall could tell me something about it? Thanks for your post. Shane

Attachments

• 100_4827.JPG
    100_4827.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 634
  • 100_4831.JPG
    100_4831.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 706

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

Love the button and the pile of treasure Dan, Thanks for sharing it

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shanegalang said:
I found my first flat button yesterday. Your post inspires me to search for more. Maybe yall could tell me something about it? Thanks for your post. Shane

Shane,
it is tough to tell exactly without knowing the backmark. However your button looks like those typical of 1820's-1850's. If I had to guess I would say most likely a plated or gilted backmark putting it in the middle of that date range. Congrats on your first button man! My first flat button is still in it's own little case!

HH

Dan

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks for the reply Dan. I only cleaned it with a toothpic per the advice of a friend. Should I do something more to possibly read something on the back? Thank you for allowing me to post in your thread :wink: Respectfully, Shane

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shanegalang said:
Thanks for the reply Dan. I only cleaned it with a toothpic per the advice of a friend. Should I do something more to possibly read something on the back? Thank you for allowing me to post in your thread :wink: Respectfully, Shane

There is some gilt there, you could use amonia or naval jelly - though would not recomend it without practice first as you can easily over clean the item. The toothpic works, though think of it more as lightly filing the item with the toothpic as it will knock the dirt off. You can dry brush it with a soft bristle toothbrush as well. I can already see it came from a wet or clay soil so the chance of perserving all of the gilt is slim - though you could still read the backmark though. It is wise to be careful with backmarks of flat buttons, as many do not. There are some rare and cool backmarks out there - i.e. the gold gilted one in my second picture is an Andrew Jackson campaign button - I have found three varieties alone of that campaign - all backmarks

Dan

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That is an amazing and rare button you found there Dan. One of the best politicals I have seen. I'm sure you're loving Williamsburg. I went to Colonial Williamsburg a few years ago and loved it.

Keith

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread