A real treasure map?

Froghunter

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's today's find. Dad had a story he would tell about finding gold bars and a golden statue in an old mine. It was on federal land and he was trying to find a legal way to claim it without losing it. He passed in September and we just found a stack of papers and 2 cassette tapes locked away. Legal papers on how to claim treasure, maps, pictures and the cassettes of him telling what he found and what happened afterwards.

Now my question is what do I do with all this stuff? It's two states away and not something I can just go check out. I'm no treasure hunter and need info on where to start.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Froghunter

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have very little faith that any of this is true. If I did I wouldn't have posted it. I truly intended to throw it all away but I guess curiosity got the better of me. Kinda like throwing away a lotto ticket before you scratch it off.

You're talking to the wrong folks then.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Know what? Maybe you AREN'T talking to the wrong folks. If you are going to toss all that stuff away, then have a drawing in here for all it... then you can read about the lucky winner of it in the paper or on the nightly news a month down the road. The more research that you do, the more you can determine if its all bunk or not. What would Dad have wanted you to do? Maybe he intended this to be your legacy?

A little research will cure this. Better to KNOW you made the right choice rather than live your life in regret.

dohbart

Aug 15, 2011
St. Charles, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To the OP, Sorry about your dad. I hope the map and treasure are real, but it sounds like a very big long-shot. Perhaps if the laws allow, you could at minimum plan a 'scouting' vacation there at least, again - with a very small group of people you trust - to investigate.

Gollum, Hey - you seem to really know the treasure stories! You happened to have written any treasure books have you? This thread does remind me to check Amazon for a new treasure story book for my kindle!

HH!

- dohbart

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We always know one thing for sure. If we never take a risk we will never know for sure. Trust me my friend I'm the king of taking chances. I often waste an entire day hiking into a spot just because I have a feeling and I need to know. Sometimes I find nothing....but at leastI know and I don't have to think about it anymore. And sometimes my gut feeling turns out to be right on and what a feeling that is. When you're digging up 17th and 18th century silver coins where nobody else would have ever looked. Ya know why they never looked? Because there was no history book that spoke of this place. No for on a map showing a homestead. I've learned that there's lots of in redouble places and treasures to be found out there. We just need to believe in it and see it through. If it's not there you've had an adventure that you won't forget. If it is there it's a feeling of satisfaction that's very hard to explain.

Last edited:

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Arizona laws concerning relics are the most restrictive in the nation. If the treasure is on public land you are screwed. If it is on private land good luck. If you are trying to get the state of Arizona to give you permission forget it. If you actively seek this treasure you are an outlaw so if you are in for a penny you are in for a pound.

BondJamesBond

Apr 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Froghunter,
The details of the story you have related sound like the story of the robbery in Mexico of a church. The story goes as follows...
After thieves robbed a church in mexico they recrossed the border into Arizona Territory with the proceeds in a wagon. The proceeds included gold of the type you have mentioned and the statue of the virgin Mary also made of gold. The thieves were not alone in their exit. Presumably, they were followed in hot pursuit by mexicans from the town where the robbery took place. Both the mexicans and the thieves encountered one another at a small mountain in the extreme southeast corner of Cochise County called Davis mountain. Today the mountain is known as College Peak. It is shown on the older maps as Davis and the newer ones as College Peak. A firefight took place and some of the participants on each side were either wounded or killed. The thieves were able to make their escape with the gold but not the wagon. It was burned. The treasure now being hard to transport they eventually found place to bury it, hide it, whatever, with the thought of returning to retrieve it. No record of this treasure having been found,exists. So goes the story.
There has been many attempts to find this but, to no-avail. I have not tried so myself but, if I were try a story,this would be one of the more promising ones. I live about 75 miles from college Peak. If this sounds like your story. Go for it. If I can be of help let me know.

Bond

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
This sounds like another Tubac or Tumacacori church treasure story. I have no interest whatsoever in this (I'm busy researching other sites) but you can google it if you're interested for some amusing reading. I live about 100 miles from there & have met @ lest 6 people who 'found' the treasure but none who have actually shown anything. All suffered mental problems afterwards, possibly as a result of messing w/ it. I think any real value to you would be printing & selling copies of whatever information you have to others who might be interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread