A relic weekend and a what is it.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wife and I got out and detected a 1830's house. Not much found.....tons of iron, a 1957 D wheat.
ax head and not sure what the other items are.
Have a safe and Happy 4th !

IMG_20140704_1156581.jpgIMG_20140704_1156531.jpgIMG_20140704_1034071.jpgIMG_20140704_1034001.jpgIMG_20140704_1033311.jpgIMG_20140704_1033351.jpg

Upvote 6
The bottom is an old powder flask.

Thanks Mud Hut!

dig kazoo ,the spoon I believe is from 1700s and could be silver then again I could be wrong ,man beautiful powder flask.love to find one of them.vanzutphen

yep, powder flask. very cool! I'd say it's pre or post civil war because it has a sportsman's theme rather than patriotic

nice finds. powder flasks are one of my favorite items to dig as they are early and generally fell out of favor at the start of the American Civil War. yours is definitely pre-Civil War and I would date it sometime in the 1850's. it could be a little earlier. but it also means other early relics could be lurking about such as a coin or early military button. keep working the area and good luck.

that powder flask is freakin awesome!, very cool

Thanks all! it is my first flask from an iron filled site.
the spoon from what I could find. Hall & Elton products - SMP Silver Salon Forums.
I hope to be able to return to this soon, might even be able to take a few volunteers along on the return hunt.

Nice relic finds!

I hope to be able to return to this soon, might even be able to take a few volunteers along on the return hunt.

That would be me! 8-)

I'd bet that spoon is sterling. It should have hallmarks but they can be easily worn off. I have one from our family silver but it's not near as old as yours.

Last edited:
That would be me! 8-)

I'd bet that spoon is sterling. It should have hallmarks but they can be easily worn off. I have one from our family silver but it's not near as old as yours.

Was plated at one time, and boy its seen its better days. let me know when your up for it and we can set a hunt up there.

Awesomeness! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back