A reminder to stay safe in the water - I could have drowned today

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I added a bit of this caution to my thread today about finding a cell phone in a river swim hole.

I was working my way to a rope swing, and I usually stop a chin deep. Well, I got there and ran into very, very strong current. I had my Excal on straight shaft strapped to my right arm, carrying my heavy large Stealth scoop in my left hand.

So there I was being carried by the current to an area of unknown depth. I was tip toe dancing, trying to reach out with my Stealth to pull me into shallower water, but the current was keeping me from reaching out with it. My right arm was useless with the Excal strapped to it.

And I was not wearing a flotation vest. I just kept dancing and struggling with the scoop and somehow got myself out of the current.

I assure all of you, next time I hit a river I'm going to be wearing that vest.

Upvote 0

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, been in that situation once before. Took a big gulp of seawater as I stepped into a deep trough. I made the immediate decision to let go of my scoop and detector, which I retrieved after making it back to shallow water to gather my breath and senses. If you know you are in trouble then don't hesitate if you feel you need to save yourself. I also feel tethering either your scoop or detector to your body is a bad idea.
Take care everyone,
Tony

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank goodness you are okay. Safety is our main concern. You can always go back and get the detector and scoop. I need to get one of those vests myself.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you made it DS! I too have been in similar situations in the ocean and the relief one feels when one makes it to safety is immeasurable!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread