Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A report proving dredging doesn't harm rivers

I stumbled upon this report and reading the intro I scanned down to the summary and there you have it, dredging does not harm rivers. The science in this paper is probably a hundred times better and less bias than the false science papers used to ban dredging in Ca and could be conclusive proof when coupled with the other papers related to this study that dredging doesn't harm the environment.

The report starts on page 127, read the intro then check out the summary on page 133 of the report. Sometimes page numbers are off by a little in the pdf compared to the actual report so I am referring to the page numbers of the actual report not pdf page numbers if they differ.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/p1633/p1633textonly.pdf

Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool, some of the other reports were based on this..
found the one with the figures, photos and graphs
big download; http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/p1633/p1633.pdf

for all the mining on the Fortymile this study and
companion parts of this study of the Fortymile River
drainage have reached similar conclusions. River water con-
tains low amounts of total dissolved solids, and in only two
cases did any element, iron, exceed secondary drinking-water
limits (Wanty and others, 1999). Similarly, the levels of arsenic
and cadmium, two elements of environmental concern, were
found to be below or only slightly above levels for similar veg-
etation and soil materials found elsewhere in Alaska

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If that's the report I'm thinking it is, that very report is and has been used in the fight to regain mining and other outdoor rights all the way from California up to Alaska. Can't download it right now...gotta slow down on data usage.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Steve Hershbacks site had all the reports from all the gubermint agencys reporting that a 4 inch dredge had a diminimus results on the stream (or something to that effect) I had them copied and stored somewhere. probly out in my trailer with all my mining permits for different states. Im old and its been awhile!!

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anything about mercury in the report. The USGS has numerous studies about dredging and mercury.

Here is one of numerous reports...

USGS Release: Mercury contamination in California’s South Yuba River (1/25/2011 6:00:00 AM)

That report is FLAWED!!!! I know two dredgers who were part of that report. It is used by the opposition against us all the time yet no one will allow the CA miners a day in court, ANY COURT, the chance to debunk this, or ANY OTHER, claims the opposition uses against us.

It used no basic scientific practices like base line testing, had pre determined out comes, and when those out comes didn't prove out, even after tailored testing and methods, they had to stick the nozzle into a known pool with a 3" nozzle just to come close to the desired outcome. Some creative writing on the part of Alpers was able to finish the rest of the report.

This is report is more fabricated than what the DFW put after the draft EIR to become the final EIR

ratled

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alpers and the boyz created methylated mercury through continuous aireation for over 12 hours if memory serves me right as have this report,and all the others as submitted many times over the years. Then they dewatered, froze, acidified, aireated and reran the water in their "Lab dredge" to compound the concentrations of any mercury present. Do you put your tailings in a big dumpster and aireate for many hours. Do you suction them dry, then freeze, thaw, acidify and the put them back in a drum and reuse the water a 1,000 times to concentrate any contaminates. THIS WHOLE THING IS A BLOODY SCAM FOR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ TO BE PAID TO DREDGE BY THE ENVIRONUTZ. Damn'm all-8 1/4 seasons GONE never to be returned all on a hoax...sic sic sic sic sic---John

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
This office received allegations of scientific misconduct and conflict of interest associated withU.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Open File Report 2010-1325A, titled “The Effects of Sedimentand Mercury Mobilization in the South Yuba River and Humbug Creek Confluence Area,Nevada County, California: Concentrations, Speciation, and Environmental Fate—Part 1: FieldCharacterization

.”Our investigation did not disclose any evidence of scientific misconduct or conflict of interest bythe scientist in the USGS study.This investigation is closed with no further action by this office. The allegations have beenreviewed by this office, including consultations with the USGS ethics officer and the USGSscientific integrity officer, and determined to be unsubstantiated.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...sB5Dlc_f8Sre1ojYw&sig2=aHoz2JScqET4Mrzmg7j6Vw

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to mention that Charles Alpers is member of the Sierra Fund, who wants all dredging in the state stopped so they can continue the mercury remdiation HOAX on that old fool in Sactown and the taxpayers of this state. Shame on you Charlie

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I had no idea it was not allowed in the US. In Germany the government prefers you dredge because they claim it is good for the river and fish living it the river.

You can get 2 kinds of hobby permits in Germany, one is for panning shoveling gold; that will cost you about 300 Euro. The other is for dredging and that will cost you about 24 Euro. Clearly they are supporting something more than another. LOL

But normally the only folks you seeing dredging in Germany are Americans. Even the big gold mining firms in Germany are not owned by Germany.

But Germany loves gold, so much that the federal refinery pays the seller 3% under spot. Now you have to have at least one kilogram but still that is much better than most other EU Nations.

I read lots in to when I started just nugget shooting and I was shocked at all the Fed Science reports claiming that dredge rivers was so much better for the rivers habitats.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty much anything published by Charles Alpers is automatically questioned by the scientific community any more. The first reason is his lack of using anything close to a viable scientific method to do the tests and secondly his lack of recusing himself from the study because of a blatant conflict of interest. Dizzy Izzy and the rest of the Sierra Fund have never seemed to grasp that a scientific fact for one is a scientific fact for all. You can't pick and choose between those that happen to fit your agenda(s).

What I find interesting is that on the bottom of every page of the PDF that Chlsbrns linked to is the following statement: This is a version of the report prepared for public release. That tells me that it is not the complete report and that the Sierra Fund is not the only one trying to pull the wool over the publics eyes. When you think about it, a finding in defense of Alpers methods would back up the governments wish to lock people out of our public lands. The paper should be reviewed by independent scientists and if that were to happen, I'm sure that an entirely different conclusion would be reached. If they're not trying to prove his methods were valid, then they (USGS) is trying to save face after the flaws in the study were brought to light.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, I had no idea it was not allowed in the US. In Germany the government prefers you dredge because they claim it is good for the river and fish living it the river.

You can get 2 kinds of hobby permits in Germany, one is for panning shoveling gold; that will cost you about 300 Euro. The other is for dredging and that will cost you about 24 Euro. Clearly they are supporting something more than another. LOL

But normally the only folks you seeing dredging in Germany are Americans. Even the big gold mining firms in Germany are not owned by Germany.

But Germany loves gold, so much that the federal refinery pays the seller 3% under spot. Now you have to have at least one kilogram but still that is much better than most other EU Nations.

I read lots in to when I started just nugget shooting and I was shocked at all the Fed Science reports claiming that dredge rivers was so much better for the rivers habitats.

It is good for the fish and river. We have lead everywhere in water here and dredgers used to be able to extract it from California streams. But then fake studies like the one Chsl posted combined with reports on toads or you name it banned the tradition, since then we've just been letting the lead pile up and we are losing a major part of American history and culture by the elimination of small scale miners from the golden state. If you have any reports from the German scientists on how the dredging helps fish and rivers please msg me the links to check out and I can forward the links to members here that might get them to the right people.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A report proving dredging doesn't harm rivers

Pretty much anything published by Charles Alpers is automatically questioned by the scientific community any more. The first reason is his lack of using anything close to a viable scientific method to do the tests and secondly his lack of recusing himself from the study because of a blatant conflict of interest. Dizzy Izzy and the rest of the Sierra Fund have never seemed to grasp that a scientific fact for one is a scientific fact for all. You can't pick and choose between those that happen to fit your agenda(s).

What I find interesting is that on the bottom of every page of the PDF that Chlsbrns linked to is the following statement: This is a version of the report prepared for public release. That tells me that it is not the complete report and that the Sierra Fund is not the only one trying to pull the wool over the publics eyes. When you think about it, a finding in defense of Alpers methods would back up the governments wish to lock people out of our public lands. The paper should be reviewed by independent scientists and if that were to happen, I'm sure that an entirely different conclusion would be reached. If they're not trying to prove his methods were valid, then they (USGS) is trying to save face after the flaws in the study were brought to light.

The key is the naturally occurring elements in these highly mineralized areas make it easy to fudge a study. The scientists in Alaska developed a proper baseline of what was naturally occurring and did enough sampling to get a fair reading of baseline before the further samples, eventually showing even a 8inch dredge has no effects on a river if dredges spread out enough. It is pretty easy for the people wanting to fudge the Ca studies imo especially with historical mining in an area to pull a sample from an old mine site and locations they think will read higher and to use a naturally occurring baseline site they know is rapidly flowing and clean to try and skew the results.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
come on you guys the USGS would never doctor anything for release to the population.......

Said no one who was paying attention EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
It is good for the fish and river. We have lead everywhere in water here and dredgers used to be able to extract it from California streams. But then fake studies like the one Chsl posted combined with reports on toads or you name it banned the tradition, since then we've just been letting the lead pile up and we are losing a major part of American history and culture by the elimination of small scale miners from the golden state. If you have any reports from the German scientists on how the dredging helps fish and rivers please msg me the links to check out and I can forward the links to members here that might get them to the right people.

German Scientists; I am cracking up now, that is too funny. Nationality to the side, these guys normally studied in the US, CA or UK; sure not in German because they want to make a difference and not have a bias opinion.

They can be found online, just google them. The one thing about Germany, when they want something done it is normally written in English. I think they do that because bias voters normally can not read and are still stuck with their opinion that the world should speak German.

But when I get back up to Germany I will see what links I can turn up for you.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anything about mercury in the report. The USGS has numerous studies about dredging and mercury.

Here is one of numerous reports...

What other reports are there on Merc and dredging? I did an internet search and none come up. I would think if they are numerous it should be easy to find. I do know of this video of a state witness during the SB 637 debate... to bad they still passed it

ratled

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rattled did you search using Hg they always use the science speak. I would think some of the sites like science direct would have some reports since they are often privately funded reports and kept private mostly depending on the subject value to a researcher. Try using google scholar too as that pulls up random stuff.

If a report is for sale on a science site click the reveal author link generally hidden until you click that, they are hoping people will buy the paper as all the hits on Google are often the for sale versions.

Then once you have the author, title and year of a paper you can search that info directly and often locate the original paper they are selling usually on a university site or a repository for free.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
come on you guys the USGS would never doctor anything for release to the population.......

Said no one who was paying attention EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To quote the old weapons expert from the movie "Shooter".... and Anna Nichole married for love!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread