A Request Pertaining To A Small Site Addition

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This request is to the webmaster, site designer, admin, mod staff or whomever it may concern:

Gentlemen, or women,
I've only been a member of the site for a short time. I'm also new to prospecting and hope to be a newbie at metal detecting as soon as I make a decision on which unit to purchase. My request would be very helpful to other new members as they come into the site, especially if they are also new to prospecting and/or treasure hunting as am I. I feel it's a fairly simple request and shouldn't be hard to implement the addition to the site.

What I'm requesting is a 'Terminology Chart' or 'Terminology List' as an addition to the site that would help clear up the new members' understanding of what they're reading in the posts written by "old timers". It would have helped me tremendously, and it still would, if we had a Terminology chart/list.

As I read the posts by more experienced members I keep coming across words, like "clad" (coins) or "high banking" (prospecting), that I've never heard and often can't find a definition for online. Experienced members probably don't even realize it but treasure hunters and gold prospectors use a plethora of words that most people have never heard. In some cases a post will have so many of these words that it's almost like trying to read an unfamiliar language.

It could be done as an alphabetical list or in a format where a new member could ask the definition of a word. But the latter would require a moderator or someone to keep an eye on it at all times. I know that a lot of words would get left off the chart/list if one tried to simply sit and list everyone of them, but if a list of the more common words, phrases or terms were put on the site it would really help all the new(er) members.

If there is already such a list that I have simply not found or overlooked please ignore this request and point me in that direction.

Thanks so much for giving us a venue to make make request. I really enjoy the site and look forward to getting more enjoyment and acquiring more knowledge on my newly adopted hobby. You folks (owners, moderator, administrator, webmaster...) have built a great site that fills a niche which needed filling badly.

~ Stand Watie

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread