a research treasure? sanborn fire maps!

Dandy

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2004
I know that sanborn fire maps are not new to many of you, but I just saw my first ones. I believe that they must be a great tool to research new sites. At the least a fantastic starting point. The one that I looked for my town at went back to 1895 and others available into the 1960's. Just being able to compare the old maps with the new ones seem to
give a lot of clues.

For any of you that have tried them my questions are:

Are they worthwhile to use?
What is the best way that you have found to use them?
Have you been successful with some good finds?

Give us your input!

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Myslef and 2 other just went and hit a church from 1833 using them. Pulled wheaties, buffalos and silvers. we are going to go back once the ground is dry.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK, once again, you jumped on it and nailed it!!!!

Thanks much,

Hal

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B

beaglesnlabs

ModernMiner said:
PBK said:
Hi, I'm a newbie to both this forum and MD'ing. Anyway, regarding the Sanborn Fire maps, you may want to check www.rootsweb.com and some genealogy sites for free old maps to print. I also research family histories and for my area I was able to get a sanborn map, plat map etc. on the rootsweb site for my area. Just go to Rootsweb.com and click the button for websites at the top, then find the region you are looking for click it and then you can narrow it down to county and city.
I hope that this might help some one as I would like to give back something for all of the knowledge I have come across reading these boards.
You guys are great!!

Jodi (Central Ohio)

I just recently bought some maps from Lewis for my hometown. Can't wait to go back home and try them out.
Lewis is fantastic to deal with too. Great guy.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread