A ride down river

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Greetings, last weekend we took a ride down along the river to see the scenery and see if there was any ice down there. Up here in the Port Huron area the river is clear. There is an island that some families live on all year round and the kids have to come over on the ferry every day to go to school. At the island the ice was all jambed up and the fery could not get through
and was docked. There are three pics of the ice jambing. Then on the way back we went into Port Huron to the Boat Nerd World
Headquarters and they still had two Christmas displays still up, so i got pics of them. They had several large displays this
year but didn't get any pics of them. Besides the Christmassy ones there were some large nautical ones like the ones here.
It was getting quite dark by this time so we went on up to the International Blue Water Bridge and got a night time shot. They
just put the blue lights up about two years ago. Ray

Attachments

• IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 412

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nasty looking ice, good pic's of the lights.

Fossis...........

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
You got on the water!? When it's this cold?! Can you tell I'm a southerner?! I love the Christmas displays, never seen anything like that here, so thanks for sharing that.

ng

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the lights, Ray, very good shots. NG, I don't know about where he's at, but up here when it's in the high 20's and the sun's out we don't need coats. It's a different cold than in Oklahoma. Low humidity and high altitude. But when it's 30 below, it's 30 below. No Gary England wind chill factor involved.

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Hello, Kathy, yes that ice would be dangeroug to walk on. I am standing on a sidewalk leaning against a sturdy
railing to snap the pictures. Thanks for looking and for your reply.

Hi, Mike, it is. It is definitely not for walking on. It is probably packed tight enough where a person wouldn't
fall through, but if you did happen to slip through a loose spot and go under, you would never get back out. And
having fished in it you know about the terrific current. I live only about 10 minutes from Marysville. Thank you
for your comments.

Naturegirl, No I wasn't on the water.As you have probably read from higher up here, I was standing on a sidewalk
leaning against a sturdy railing.I'm glad you liked th lights, too. Doring the Christmas season there were several
large displays of pictures in all the colored lights. They wwere really beautiful in full dark. Some of them were
Christmassy and some were nautical designs. Thank you for expressing your interest in them.

Thanks Rginn, around here we often have that humidity and the cold feels a lot worse than when the air is dryer.
And when we get a cold damp wind, we have that wind-chill factor you mentioned. Up in northern Michigan the air
seems to be much dryer. Thank you for your interesting reply.

One of these days i'll get over by the bridge in daylight and get a pic of it and you can see it in daylight.

Have a good day and a better one tomorrow.

Ray

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ice does look deadly! But, cool still! And I too love the lights! :icon_sunny: We're do to get more snow starting Sunday night!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
"Boat Nerd World Headquarters" Now that's funny. That ice reminds me of
stuff we used to shove around on the icebreaker "Staten Island" in the '60s.

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I know that park where you took the pics well. Kinda cool standing at the rail when the ice is flowing. Its almost like you are moving (I am sure you know what I mean) Makes you a little weak in the knees. Nice pictures.

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Hello, Granny Yes, I saw the forecast showing that storm coming across your area heading our way. You might get hit hard
like the east coast got. Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you liked the pics.

Hey Bobby How are things going? It's good to hear from you. No, at the time we were down there, it was open enough that
the Walpole ferry was making it through. It was thew two above that one that was stopped. i agree. It is fun crossing on
those ferries. Back when gas was a lot cheaper, we used to cross over to Sarnia ,Ontario on the Blur Water Bridge,drive
down river on that side and come back on one of the ferries. Once in a while we would go all the way to Windsor and
cross over to Detroit either through the tunnel or over the Ambassador Bridge. We did a lot of exploring in lower
Ontario, and had a lot of good times that way. LOL. Thanks for your question.

lastleg Yup, I can see you are somewhat familiar with that kind of ice jambs, The ice breakers are kept pretty here
sometimes keeping it clear.With the lake being so large and the river being so narrow sometimes there is not enough
room for it all. Thank you for your interesting comments.

mcmich,,Yes, I know what you mean. When you are standing on the shore with the ice packed solid all the way across and
it is slowly moving, it almost makes you dizzy. And if you are standing by the Bridge where it bottlenecks the noise
of the crunching, grating , and grinding is a strange sound; similar; to the sound of gravel slowly sliding out of a
dumptruck. And the pieces are constantly shifting. It can be intreging to watch and listen to. One that has never been
close to the river's edge and witnessed it firsthand would not understand the feeling. You must live close or used to
live here to know about that. Thanks for your very interesting comment,

You all have a good day and stay safe and warm.

Ray

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ray! You know I bet that would make you feel a little qizzy maybe standing and watching it for very long!

As for the snow it has been drizzling and spitting nothin really yet!

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Thanks for the great photos Ray!

Someday im taking the wife to Boatnerd HQ, will let ya know when were coming your way.

Mike

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
You're welcome, Granny, yup it does. When you are standing on the shore , just a few feet from the riverand the ice is
jambed solid all the way across it is about like looking across a large field. And when that whole thing is slowly moving
it gives you a strange feeling Thanks for your reply I was just watching the weather forecast a little bit ago and we
have 6 to 10 inches coming tomorrow night and into Wednesday. That doesn't seem like much compared to what they got on
the East coast. LOL.

Hi bbqbull. it's good to see you again. Yup, you let me know when you're coming and I'll PM you on how to find my house. It's
real easy to find from I69 at the Wadhams Rd exit. I'll look foreward to it. We were up north alot last summer. Probably won't be quite so often this summer.With a little advance notice I can be home and it would be a pleasure showing you around. I'm sure you
would enjoy talking to the guys working in there. They sure are knowledgable about all the ships going by.And they have a live
camera set up down in the river and a large screen inside the lounge where you can watch the fish swiming by. It's pretty interesting. The place has a lot going for it, both, inside and outside.
Have a good day

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread