Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Millie

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Millie,

nice rock.?

Be careful what you put in that fish tank, could harm the fish.

have a good un.....
You are right about putting things in a fish tank that could be harmful, I washed it good in a clorox and water solution and rinsed it several times before putting it in the tank. I am not going to put it back in. My grandson was catching flies "ugh" and feeding them to my fish, it caused sores on two of them, I treated the water but lost one. I bet you can guess what I did to him ;D. u have a good un also.....

Upvote 0

bwilly36

Apr 1, 2005
Marion, IA
Oh, you should never put anything in your aquarium that you have washed in bleach...chlorine is VERY bad for fishies...& it seems that you can never get it rinsed off completely...lots of cracks and crevices where a minute amount could get stuck.

bwilly36

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Millie

diamondjim said:
Check this rock for flourescence! With a cheap off the shelf novelty black light (flourescent bar, not the incandescent party light bulb), my thunder eggs from Colorado lit up like a christmass tree with rings and bubbles of different colors.

I just tried with my grandson's black bar light and nothing happened :'( , maybe your's is better than mine. Thanks for the info and have a good un.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Millie

bwilly36 said:
Oh, you should never put anything in your aquarium that you have washed in bleach...chlorine is VERY bad for fishies...& it seems that you can never get it rinsed off completely...lots of cracks and crevices where a minute amount could get stuck.

bwilly36

Thanks bwilly, I was not aware of that. In the future I sure will be careful what I put in an aquarium.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Millie

diamondjim said:
Sorry the black light didn't work. The Colorado ones were virtually identical to this, even the "star trek" uniform cheveron shape. Never hurts to try :-)

Cheap black light bar not as effective as the expensive ones sold in hobby shops, but it's a broad band frequency...if anything shows up under the cheap lamp, it'll look great under the real ones. I always check new rocks and minerals this way, what looks butt ugly in the day light but lights up in the dark under a black light may become a valuable ebay item :-) (Bright reds highly prized) Good for diamonds too...many companies have used black light to find the diamonds in the first place. They glow a faint blue, but room must be very dark. Note: not all diamonds "glow", it's just a quick test.

Quartz and calcedony (like in thunder eggs and geodes) rarely flouresces, the Colorado rocks had thin layers of other minerals mixed in, to small to see with naked eye.

Thanks for the reply, I find it very interesting and wish I knew more about minerals and gems. You seem to know a lot about them, I went to a Ruby mine in the mountains of N.C. and I think I was the only one that came out with zilch :'( I was born in Marble , N.C. when I was growing up I went to the Marble quarries a lot and was always fasinated with them. When I lived there the sidewalks were marble. I am going to try to find a better black light and check my thunder egg again and will let you know the results, my grandson's light was a cheap one from Wal Mart, that could be the problem.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread