A Scout Hunt turns into my oldest coin and oldest relic!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After work I had about an hour to detect so I decided to scout a site that I have been eyeing up since I started detecting. I went expecting to find some ruins of an old church but i wasn't able to locate it today. My very first signal was silver! A 1940-d Merc (silver #12). Right up against a big old live oak. I wandered around after that looking for something to give me a clue to where the church would have stood. Found nothing but shot gun shells all from the 1920's to 1950's. I then worked my way back to where I first walked into the area of the woods and I got a nickel signal about 6inches deep came out pretty crusty (but i'll get to that at the end). My last signal I dug was a 4 inch 33-34 which ended up being an old buckle which looks to be my oldest relic. I have it posted up on "what is it" but preliminary findings suggest that it is a post 1750's saddle buckle. When I got home I received some advise from DirtStalker on how to clean up the nickel. After a little soaking and a light brushing i could see the "5" with stars around it and knew it was a SHIELD Nickel! Which is my oldest coin dug regardless of the date. I'm trying to get a date but it keeps looking like 1832 which i know isn't possible. Plus I'm not sure if the rays rubbed off or if it never had rays which would date it at 1867. Either way awesome hour of scouting. Any I.D. on the buckle is appreciated!

IMG_3022.jpg IMG_3023.jpg IMG_3024.jpg IMG_3016.jpg IMG_3020.jpg IMG_3021.jpg IMG_3018.jpg IMG_3019.jpg IMG_3015.jpg IMG_3017.jpg

Upvote 17

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread