Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. My son and I got out and detected a new permission in a historic area of our town. We detected for about 90 minutes but spent some of that time getting the "lay of the land" and some of the time talking with the land owner, so we didn't dig all that many targets - but there were lots of hits (mostly iron). We cherry picked the non-iron and this is what we dug:

Item 1: Shield Nickel - as you can see from the condition I won't be getting a year off of this one. New Jersey soil strikes again. We weren't sure what it was at first because it rang up around 11 VDI on the Equinox; I haven't found a Shield Nickel before. We saw stars on the obverse when my son first started cleaning it; he was just brushing off dirt with his finger, but he said "Dad I think I rubbed off a star". I can still see the bottom curve of the "5" and one "T" from UNITED STATES on the obverse, and on the reverse the parallel lines of the shield are visible.
Can anyone offer advice on how they treat coins like this when they first pull them out of the ground? Can I do anything better to preserve them? Or if some of the surface rubs off with a finger, is the coin "toast" and there's nothing to be done?
Front | Back
3BluhG6.jpg AxJTSEg.jpg

Item 2: old button - this one has a bit of a design/pattern around the front edge, and the back has no markings and the shank looks old. Is this one early 1800's?
Front | Back
r7kuBHl.jpg 4e9tn0Y.jpg

Item 3: small lock plate - I love finding these, since they make me wonder what they were attached to. Very small box? This one doesn't look all that old given the two rivets' design - agree?
bga67aZ.jpg 2O7Pz0z.jpg

Mystery item 1: shell casing. The mystery is - what kind of shell casing? The opening is 0.17 caliber, and there's "LC 62" on the base. But the neck design is weird, is it "necked down"? I don't know much about shell casings.
AfrIG7v.jpg br3a5S7.jpg

Mystery item 2: this one I have no idea. Thoughts?
17oRrZ1.jpg oqkOlFI.jpg

Here's everything we dug.
Thanks for looking!
IMG_4853.jpg

Attachments

• 5wp1DeU.jpg
    5wp1DeU.jpg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 2

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Item #3 is actually a corset hook or clasp. You can see them in the below photo holding the two pieces together and then the laces for tightening would have been on the other side:

Victorian Corset Hooks.jpg

Mystery item 2 is a broken spigot valve/handle:

Barrel Tap Valve.jpg

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! Your cartridge case is a “blank” produced in 1962 at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing you can really do with a coin like that. Without a date, it isn't worth anything. You can try to preserve it in it's present state by coating it with CoinCare or similar, but, IMO, what would be the point? Cool to find though! :icon_thumright:

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Your cartridge case is a “blank” produced in 1962 at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant.

Timbermaster is correct. You beat me to it. Nice finds, stay safe and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread