A short cold evening hunt

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

Managed to get out for a little bit today. I have been called upon to tile my bosses kitchen backsplash, and I spent a good part of the day doing that. Did not get home til after low tide. Ate an early dinner with the wife, and finally made it to the beach a little after low tide. I decided to head to the north end of the beach. The last few days I have been down south, and I decided I needed new sand to plunder. My expectations were low, because it's Sunday, and I know a lot of people that hunt the north end, especially on the weekends. When I arrived, my low hopes were dissolved into no hope. The beach had changed drastically over the last 24 hours, and knowing the winds were blowing in the wrong direction was not good. Yesterday, the beach was flat, and a lot of wet sand was exposed. Today, very little wet sand, and the beach was scalloped all up and down. I groaned, and decided to try anyway.

I managed to talk the wife into coming down with me for once, and she was going to jog home from there. She agreed to spend a few minutes with me as I got going, so, once that was established, I cranked up the excal and got ready to hunt :). I should point out that we stopped at the top of the low part of a scalloped area.

As I turned on the machine, I had a hard time getting the threshold to come on and stay stable. I messed with it a bit, and moved the coil, and heard a null. Realizing I had been on top of metal, I understood, and stabilized the sound. Then I rechecked the area, because I have learned sometimes good targets will null if the coil is on the edge of them. The sound I heard was that of can slaw, not a null. I checked where I was, and upon realizing I was so high up from the water expected to find can slaw. So I told her nothing about how it was a potentially good sound.

One good scoopful of sand, and the target was free from the ground. Kicked the pile over, located the target, kicked again, and oh baby, what a pretty color I saw. I just stood there as her eyes made it down to the pile. I have much desired to find a golden trinket with her present, as I want her to get excited about this hobby too. She knelt down, picked it up, and said, "It's and earring!" I was upset, because it looked just like a ring to me. But upon closer inspection, I saw 8 princess diamonds!!! And they are not small either!! (roughly .15 to .20 carats each if genuine.) We will be testing them soon, and I hope they are real!! The earring is stamped 14k in two places :).

14k diamond earring.JPG

After finding the earring, I jokingly told her, "Well, I got what I came for, lets go home!" I then checked around in the bowl of the scallop, and quickly found a nickle and a quarter. She then kissed me goodbye, and took off jogging home.

I exhausted the scallop, and moved one scallop south, and quickly found another coin. Suddenly my feelings of no targets were dissolved, and I pictured tons of targets in every scallop I saw! (Strange to think that only these 2 scallops held much of anything, as I was soon to find out.) At the top of the scalloped area, I picked up a faint crackle of a signal. Very faint, and possibly iron by the sound. Well, I dug anyway. Several scoops and a deep hole later, the target was free from the sand. Poking around I found it, and thought, "Nice! A Quarter!" Quarters are always welcome, and I like finding them :). But then, I noticed something funny about it. It was not the normal quarter color. In fact, it looked like GOLD!

golden coin.JPG

In disbelief, I tossed it back on the ground, turned the discrimination all the way up, and scanned it again with the detector. It nulled. Then I did a bit of a double take, and realized what I might have on my hands. I picked it up, looked again, and said, "Nah. It can't be" and chucked it in my pouch with everything else. It just did not look right. Very soon I realized it could be real, so I put it in a nice soft sweatshirt pocket all by itself - just in case. I am not sure if it is real, but if it is, I will be ecstatic. The weight is right about where gold coins are, so maybe...just maybe. I will have to do a lot of research on this one. While I could just scratch it - no friggin way! Ill be patient on this one.

Well, off again I went looking for more goodies. Up and down the beach I went, finding a coin here and a coin there. Nothing like those two scalloped out areas tho. None of the other low spots yielded much more than one coin, if that. I made my way back to the first two areas, and decided to recheck them from a different direction, and slowly. Boy was I surprised to find a HUGE earring just a few feet from where the gold one came out. Not sure what it is made of, but it is heavy! And then a few feet from that I found ANOTHER earring! This one is definitely junk, and it is the thin hoop earring in the photo. I decided to grid again at a diagonal, and picked up a nickle! So lesson learned - even a tight grid does not find it all!

Well, it was definitely a good hunt for the amount of time. I think I spent an hour on the beach. I am very satisfied with the results! I will update when I find any new information on the golden coin :). I have a lot of doubt about it, but I am hopeful. There is always that glimmer of a chance.

Happy Hunting!
Anthony

Update: Found a picture online very similar to this coin! I have it soaking in water now, and some of the sand is coming off. I keep looking for flakes of "gold" as that would key me into knowing it is a cheap plated look a like.
http://www.wakeforestcoins.com/worldcoins/worldcoinindex.htm

11-16-08.JPG

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Great hunt Anthony! did you check the diamonds yet??? anyone have thoughts on the coin?

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
You did GOOD! A short hunt should always be so lucky and getting the chance to find a good find while your wife was there was just icing on the cake. WTG.

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Researched the heck out of the coin last night. According to what I found, that coin, if genuine, should be as big as a silver dollar, not a quarter. I also found a website selling a replica coin of that exact same size. So with that knowledge, I scratched the rim of the coin, and sure enough, the gold came off. Doh! Oh well, it will make for a great conversation piece :).

Checked the stones tonight after work. Glass - not even CZs. Oh well, at least I have 2.5 grams of 14k gold! ;D

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
well that was a nice outing,good digs.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
An old trick......

Those gold colored coins that you found are cheap replicas that can be found in alot of novelty and beach supply stores at beach resorts around the country. I find a few of those coins every year here at the Jersey shore. They sell them as "pirate treasure" in little mesh bags the kids buy them and play with them (and lose, naturally) in the sand. I also had a guy laughingly tell me one day that he bought a couple of bags of them and threw them in the shallow surf just to give the guys with the metal detectors a thrill....I told him not to do me any favors.....so there ya have it....hopefully the mystery is solved for you.....HH....Brian

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Re: An old trick......

Surfdigger said:
Those gold colored coins that you found are cheap replicas that can be found in alot of novelty and beach supply stores at beach resorts around the country. I find a few of those coins every year here at the Jersey shore. They sell them as "pirate treasure" in little mesh bags the kids buy them and play with them (and lose, naturally) in the sand. I also had a guy laughingly tell me one day that he bought a couple of bags of them and threw them in the shallow surf just to give the guys with the metal detectors a thrill....I told him not to do me any favors.....so there ya have it....hopefully the mystery is solved for you.....HH....Brian

Thanks for confirming my suspicions :). While it is a nice novelty, only one replica please. Next time ask him to toss authentic coins in :)

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt!!!! :icon_pirat:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
to those who salt replica coins -- your a cruel cruel man McVEE >:( to get yer kicks like that :tard: --almost as bad as our florida penny cutters who cut pennies into 1/4 ths and dump em down here in treasure beach areas so PI type machines can not hunt the beaches --- only disc machines that can null out copper can get around it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread